Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My new system! Pics inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My new system! Pics inside!

I got this set-up about a month ago and love it. The bass hits soo hard and it's soo clean, crisp, and tight too. No rattles, buzzes, overlapping of sound, or slowness and bluriness in the bass/subs like my friends set-ups. Also, no one can believe that all my subs are 8" cuz they never have a problem hitting any notes and are so loud.

I couldn't ask for more bass either and I don't even have to come close to turning it up all the way (adjustable from remote located by my right knee & on head unit). Rap can get insane, like you feel the wind hitting you in the head and vibrating you. I definitely didn't think I would get these results but it's amazing!

The box is actually 2 sealed boxes in one and I can easily remove it for track duty because the wires just clip on on left and right side of the box. I just unclip and pull out the box so thats nice to have. The box was going to be ported but it makes so much bass sealed, it didn't need it. Also, I got a Clarion DXZ955MC touch-screen head unit that can record 6 cd's in it's memory. It's an awesome head unit (got new one off eBay for super cheap). And, I had my door speakers replaced with a component package from Pioneer.

I definitely suggest people start lookin at getting 8" subs cuz they can hit hard and a lot faster than the bigger subs.

I have to thank Expressive Audio in Humble for the install and picking out the right stuff for the sound I wanted.

I've got no complaints at all with this set-up. I get plenty of sound out of the components even with my loud exhaust but if I ever think I need more, I'd just add some speakers where the old woofers used to be and probably another lunar amp to run them.

So here's everything I got:
Clarion DXZ955MC
Pioneer REV 6.5" component set TS-C160R
Lunar 40 watt x 2 amp (120 watts x 1@4 ohms mono) to run the highs
Ant adapter (antanna only up with radio, I hated how stock it was always up when stereo was on no matter what mode)
Rockford Power 500 watt amp
4 Rockford Punch P2 8" 8 ohm subs

Pics:

head unit

subs and the amp(carpet looks same color in person, thats weird) The Lunar amp is located where the 12 disc changer used to be

easy box removal for the track

-Chris

Last edited by jimmypop13; 06-21-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Links aren't working for me.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn, try http://briefcase.yahoo.com/garyrlaw@swbell.net until I can figure out how to link them
Old 06-20-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm....Punch PR ?? subs, and have you metered it yet? (DB level)

Nice set-up and I am sure you aren't lacking in the subwoofer department (lol)
Old 06-20-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are Rockford subs. The model is a Punch 2 or P2. They each handle 200watts compared to the P3 which can handle 250watts. I couldn't afford the P3s or a bigger amp to run them but now I think it could have been overkill
Old 06-20-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For our cars, good move....a single 12 or (2) 10's are more than enough IMO, but sounds like you have good components.

Clarion was my second choice, but I couldn't afford the upper-end Clarion, and secondly, my local shop is discontinuing Clarion in favor of other brands.

Happy cruisin'
Old 06-21-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

pics are workin
Old 06-21-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm... 4 8's... why not 2 10's? The 10's will hit harder and sound just as clean (if you get quality subs). I personally have a pair of Alpine Type-R 10's that are rated at 1000w each. They are very clean and ridiculously loud. Just wondering on your setup.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just out of curiosity, is your trunk no longer in existence because of that box ? Also, I don't know about where you live but that stuff would get stolen in a minute if ppl could see that amp thru the window...
Old 06-21-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Hmmm... 4 8's... why not 2 10's? The 10's will hit harder and sound just as clean (if you get quality subs). I personally have a pair of Alpine Type-R 10's that are rated at 1000w each. They are very clean and ridiculously loud. Just wondering on your setup.
well, two 8" speakers have a larger cone mass than a single 10", so if they share the same airspace, and are wired in parallel so that they play exactly the same notes at exactly the same time, they could conceivably play lower than a single 10", while being a tad quicker with the transient response, due to the cone mass being split up between two subs.

i had thought about doing such a setup myself, but with money being as tight as it is at the moment, i opted to just do a single 10" sub for now, until i can afford something better. but even so, the single 10" is working pretty well for me...i can just imagine what four 8's sounds like.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice setup. I'm about to get a used box with 2 12"s. May not sound as clean as yours but I already have the subs and amp so I'll be saving $$. Love that setup!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Luna
Just out of curiosity, is your trunk no longer in existence because of that box ? Also, I don't know about where you live but that stuff would get stolen in a minute if ppl could see that amp thru the window...

Haha, no that stuff is not like that. It was only in there like that for a few days before I got a custom q-logic box for the back. I really need to update the sig. Now that the subs are in the t-top area, you can't see them through the window and I always have them and the amp covered with some sort of towel/mat so it's a lot less conspicuous to random passers-by.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
well, two 8" speakers have a larger cone mass than a single 10", so if they share the same airspace, and are wired in parallel so that they play exactly the same notes at exactly the same time, they could conceivably play lower than a single 10", while being a tad quicker with the transient response, due to the cone mass being split up between two subs.

i had thought about doing such a setup myself, but with money being as tight as it is at the moment, i opted to just do a single 10" sub for now, until i can afford something better. but even so, the single 10" is working pretty well for me...i can just imagine what four 8's sounds like.

Being wired in parallel won't make them play lower. They may play that frequency much louder due to the combined effort, but that's about it.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Close to overkill with the RF 500? I am wondering if my t8004 fosgate may be to much with my 2 12's.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Luna
I normally have in that rectangular cover thing, just took it out for the picture. I keep it flipped forward so you can't see the amp from the outside and because of the tint, normally you can't see the subs but at night if a light is near it, you can. so, i need to get a towel or somethin to covert them up. And, yeah my trunk doesn't exist anymore but if I need it for any reason, the box comes right out, I just won't have anymore bass

And the comment about the 2 10"s, yeah that's what they had initially recommended but I thought the idea & looks of havin 4 8"s was just too cool to pass up.

I'm changin spark plugs/wires right now & am half way done but damn, my hands are all cut up and dieing now
Old 10-26-2005, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

I highly recommend those guys (Expressive Audio in Humble) if you are in the Houston area. Will and Bo do great work. Sound quality experts who know how to get loud as well.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-26-2005 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

might think about leaving the box in, a nice 100lb ballast will get you some traction
Old 10-28-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, can you hear emergency vehicles coming?
Old 10-28-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GotV-8
Wow, can you hear emergency vehicles coming?
With a good system you should be able to drowned out all emergency vehicles. Of, course your ears would not be able to handle those volumes for long and it might be uncomfortable. It's like driving fast, yea I can do 130mph in the city, but you have to have self control. A good system is capable of very high volumes, but you still have to control yourself. Know what I mean?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the whole thing with the laws saying that you can't turn up your music loud is a bunch of crap.....so what if you can't hear emergency vehicles, that's what the rear view mirrors are for....

after all, are they gonna deny a deaf person a driver's license because they can't hear an emergency vehicle? i highly doubt it.....