Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New 12 Bolt Rear whining

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 12 Bolt Rear whining

I have recently purchased a Strange 12 bolt for my 2002 Ram Air Trans Am. I have U.S. Gears 373 with a Auburn Posi, Superior 31 Spline Axles, with a TA cover. My question to all is when ordering a 12 bolt, what make of gear to you find the best results with?
I have noticed that there is a "whine type" of noise that comes from the rear when there is pressure either from acceleration and when the car is coasting but being held back when going down a hill. When the car is just coasting OR in between acceleration it seems like there is a "gargling type" noise. What could I do to help eliminate these noises? Is the problem in the casting of the gears themselves? Does it simply need to be broken in? Could the gears have been setup improperly? Please advise (Sorry for the words used to describe the noises, it's the best words I believe I could use to describe the problem.

Pittsburgh
Old 06-21-2005, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be any number of those reasons. Welcome to the 12 bolt world.

Not too many silent 12 bolts out there. Mine howls, especially after I raced it.