PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0327 Knock Sensor code won't go away

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0327 Knock Sensor code won't go away

2000 Trans Am WS6. I did all the bolt-ons to my car in the past year and a half, and about 8 months ago I put a cam in. Everything was running great until recently. I bought an LS6 intake and had my friend put it in, and the next day I started throwing code P0327 for the front knock sensor. I read up on it and learned all about it and figured my friend must have pinched the wires when he put the intake on, I doubt the knock sensor would randomly go bad overnight after an intake install. So I took the intake all apart and looked at the wires..they were pinched very very slightly(maybe 1/5 of the wire was squished and i just rounded it out with my hand). That definitely didn't look like the problem. So I read up some more, and saw someone suggest swapping the front sensor with the rear sensor to see if the sensor was bad and would throw a code. I did that, put the engine back together, started it, and the SES light was off. I started driving home, and halfway there, the P0327 popped up again.

I read up some more online, saw that possibly pin #51 or #11 on the blue part of the PCM could be bad, so I checked those. They were both fine.

It's not the PCM. it's not the wires. it doesn't seem to be the sensor(whichever sensor I put in the front spot, it still threw the code for the front..and not for the back, so it can't be the sensors). No water has gotten into the intake - it hasn't rained at all with this new intake on and the car hasn't been washed.

Does anyone have any idea?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:34 AM
11 Second Club

PLEASE
PM me if you find the problem I have SAME problem 3-4 months ,I changed both new sensors, new wireing harnes, new pcm , checked all connectors and the complete wiring from the KR's back to the PCM all read 97.4 -101.0 with meter,problem came bacd with 30-45 minutes after I changed each of the above , changed all above one at a time, been in to this thing 4 times and yes i bult the " dam" around each sensor
please help JASPIRR,so I may correct MY problem also , thanks,Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 06-21-2005 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:49 AM

bump..
Old 06-21-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... you switched the Knock sensors... so it's wiring not sensor related

Could be at the PCM but doubtful

It started right after the intake manifold install
You did notice a slightly pinched wire

So to me it sounds like while it appeared to be slightly pinched , it probably broke through the wire internally (w/out breaking the outer insulation)

You could try splicing it yourself (but long term I would reccommend a new harness) and see if the problem goes away... but I'd bet that this is your problem...
Old 06-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by horist
Well... you switched the Knock sensors... so it's wiring not sensor related

Could be at the PCM but doubtful

It started right after the intake manifold install
You did notice a slightly pinched wire

So to me it sounds like while it appeared to be slightly pinched , it probably broke through the wire internally (w/out breaking the outer insulation)

You could try splicing it yourself (but long term I would reccommend a new harness) and see if the problem goes away... but I'd bet that this is your problem...
Agreed 100%. If you could somehow ohm it out while flexing the harness in different areas I suspect that's what you would find--broken wire making intermittent connection. In tech school we would have fun with someone's working lab project by bending interconnects so the wire would break but look normal on the outside. They would pull their hair out wondering what suddenly went wrong.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:48 PM

The biggest reason I didn't think it was the wire was this: The rear knock sensor's wire was pinched about twice as bad as the front one(both were very minor pinches and didn't look bad at all), yet the front sensor is the one throwing the code..I think I'll replace the harness though.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:33 PM

A month later, I still haven't passed inspection, so here's an update:

I ordered a new knock sensor wire, installed it, and the code went away. A couple days later, it came back - this time it was throwing both knock sensor codes. I made sure the wires weren't pinched anywhere and got rid of the foam under the intake to make sure it had enough room. It makes no sense. Since it came back, it has been seemingly randomly going on and off. It will stay off for an entire day, and be back the entire next day, etc. My next step is replacing the knock sensors..even though I'm pretty sure they aren't bad.

Any ideas?
Old 07-24-2005, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

AS STATED above,now have problem 5-6 months now "checked all connectors and the complete wiring from the KR's back to the PCM all read 97.4 -101.0 with meter,"NEW sensors, New WIREING harness, NEW PCM,"" >>>same problem<<
next step will be remove all tuning with LS1EDIT reflash back to stock ( have reflashed back to 3 months before problem started , still same problem )
please some one jump in with help,
COME ON "Jaspirr " and sove the problem, Please: Johnny
Old 07-27-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

my knock sensors kept getting flooded each time i entered a car wash.... check to see if they are gettin wet.... you need to pull the wire harness off and stuff a paper towel down in the valley cover....

to stop this I put black high temp silicone sealer on the wire harness around the place it fits into the valley cover.... no more problems....
Old 07-27-2005, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

robertbartsch , thanks for the suggestion, I have gone into this thing 4 times , build dam around each sesor as per GM ,at first changed kr sensors, drive car 3-4 times in same day , no water( no wash-no rain ) codes came back, go back in change kr wireing harness, drive 3-4 times no water of any kind, code back , go in check sesor with omes meter, check kr sesor harness, chech all wiring back to PCM all read 97.3 to 101.7 as per GM all good,been useing LS1EDIT for 3 years, I messed up PCM by reflashing wrong file had DEALER replace PCM 7-8 months ago all fine for about 4 months then begain getting code, fighting problen 4-5 months, still no answer
STILL NEED HELP thanks for all replys
thanks,Johnny

PS::Jaspirr I hope I am not steping on your toes, hope someone can help
Old 07-28-2005, 04:57 AM
TECH Addict

Check the KS pins on your PCM to see if they're corroded. I forgot the pin numbers but I could look them up for you. You seem to have all the other bases covered.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry, I missed the part where you said you checked the pcm pins. One thing I'm struck by is that it doesn't seem that you replaced the knock sensors. That would be the first thing I'd do, along with the wire.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:10 AM

Yesterday: Replaced both knock sensors with new ones, checked all the wiring along the harness to make sure it was not damaged, built the silicone dam around the knock sensor holes, and taped up all the un-covered parts of the wiring harness with electrical tape just for extra protection.

Result: Still the same codes.

Any help please?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Could your connector where you attach the KS wire be shorted out, or something similar? It sounds like you're okay from the sensors and the wire, but something goes wrong from the end of the wire into the pcm.

Did you clear the codes after installing the new sensors? If not, try clearing them and see if they come back.

Maybe try reflashing your pcm with a fresh flash program and re-edit it.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Just thought that maybe you could try resetting the pcm by disconnecting the battery. We seem to be running out of options, so any of the stuff I listed above and here is worth a shot.

And do check the connector that the KS wire plugs into using a multimeter.

Let us know if anything works, if not we'll try to think of something else to try.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its almost November - any word on yor situation?

Quick Reply: P0327 Knock Sensor code won't go away