Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny Rebuilt, now problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tranny Rebuilt, now problems

Hey guys I purchased a car from another board member, and the tranny in it had been rebuild prior to the purchase (within 2 months or so) so its still under the rebuilders warranty, anyways heres whats goin on:

After getting the car and driving it around about 150 miles the car wouldn't downshift from 6th to 5th, but if i put it in 4th then 5th, it would go in fine. Then, while driving up the freeway offramp the car got stuck in 5th gear, after about 10 minutes of frustraition and just plain wiggling the shifter it popped out, but, it would grind in every other gear, and when I would come to a stop even with the car in nuetral i could hear noise comming from under the car, not to mention the shifter was very tight and not normal, I pulled the car in the shop that I work at and let it sit for about an hour, I checked the tranny fuild at the fill plug and there was definetly enough fluid, however it had an awefull lot of silver in it for being just rebuilt, so when i got in the car to go home, I started it up and the shifter was back to normal, it wasn't tight it was how it normally was, so I drove home and stayed out of 5th gear, I proceeded to drive the car as it seemed fine I just wasn't testing 5th gear, then, getting on the freeway to go to a buddy's house it ground goin into 6th, and when i moved the shifter back to the nuetral section, it got very stiff again, and ground goin into all gears again , I got it in 6th and got to my buddy's house, wiggled the shifter and it came free again to normal, but, now occasionaly when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, as soon as i touch the clutch pedal the trans poppes out of gear, and it always grinds goin into 6th, it the other gears only seam to grind when the shifter gets tight if i move it anywere near 5th gear(doesn't even have to go in 5th to do it).

Has anyone had this/similar problems? Or know for that matter what might be going on? Any and all posts are apreciated, thanks in advance!

-Mark
Old 06-21-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should just take it to the tranny shop. Almost sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging all the way which is not letting you go in and out of gear very easily. But that wouldn't explain the stiff shifter. Just take it in and get it fixed. It should be free.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
I think you should just take it to the tranny shop. Almost sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging all the way which is not letting you go in and out of gear very easily. But that wouldn't explain the stiff shifter. Just take it in and get it fixed. It should be free.
Yeah thats what i'm plannin on doin, I was just wondering if it could be somehting somone left loose inside the trans, or anything like that, I suspected the clutch not disenguaging all the way, but just like you said i dont think it would be that becuase of the still shifter, I think when it does that its still partially in 5th and whatever gear I go in (if possible) and maybe thats whats goin on. anyways thanks!