Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trans Am BLUE interior lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Trans Am BLUE interior lighting?

Does ANYONE sell the sets like they have for the camaor? I dont want to go soldering on stuff myself. I would rather just buy a plug & play type set-up. I have read a couple threads & visited a few web sites, but every one i found said i have to to the soldering myself. How come the camaro sets wont work in a Trans Am? Im confused & lost, but i still want blue interior lights & wont stop trying till i have them. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand, the gauges have a orange film, so if you use blue light, it wont come out the right color. You have to buy a gauge face to replace the one you have that will allow the blue light through. If you do that you should be able to buy the blue sets an they should work just the same as they do in the camaro.

Although I could be wrong.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Launching!

i think he's talking about all the lighting, like HVAC and all that. I am would like the set too if there is one since i'll be getting different gauges.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a stock camaro gauge face for the gauge panel if you would like to buy it. It is black with a blue backing instead of a red backing. I'll get a pic of it tonight and post it. I am going blue also but I wanted white face gauges instead. I'll post up the difference of the backing and I'll PM you the price.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Anyone know if the white gauge faces sold from the sponser mcewan would let the blue led's shine through?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

yep they white faces would work, IF you had camaro gauges.

All of mine are blue... You can swap out the hvac cluster, but I'd recommend just changing the face and getting some #74 blue LED replacement bulbs. WAY easier.
Camaro headlight switch wont' fit in a T/a.. I tried, thinking that'd be the easiest. Reguardless, you'll have to do a little soldering on that....

Talk to LS1_SS (I think that's him) and he'll probably do everything for ya. here's his site:
www.nsperformance.com
Old 06-25-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

No love for bird owners
Old 06-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Teching In

On the gauge note, does anyone have an insight into the rather large price discrepancy between

http://www.procarparts.com/store-lis...0&cat=3&sub=37

and

http://www.macewenmotorsports.com/cf...99bez-wht.html

Is it just because MacEwen offers a gauge that has the same styling as stock? Or perhaps it's a higher quality product?
Old 07-01-2005, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

PCP uses just complete overlays that light up on their own and doesn't allow any stock lights, short of the needles, light up. The MacEwe uses indivdiual overlays which allow stock lighting to go through. I actually had the mac on first, then the PCP.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

I'd like to do my interior lighting blue also being that i have a blue car. I am tired of trying to find a nice looking aftermarket headunit to someone match the interior. Get all the lights in the interior blue.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JayBirdWs6
I'd like to do my interior lighting blue also being that i have a blue car. I am tired of trying to find a nice looking aftermarket headunit to someone match the interior. Get all the lights in the interior blue.
Same here. Blue car, blue gauges. Doesn't get any better than that!

I'd recommend a Jensen VM9410 screen. Lights up all blue and matches it VERY nicely.. Plus it'll play anything you stick in it, from MPEG to VCD to SVCD to DVD to MP3 to WMA.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RJCrcvx...50&I=110VM9410
Old 07-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Teching In

the easiest way to make your gauge cluster blue it to first take off the inlay, and sand down the back till you get through all of the color and it is almost clear, then go to autozone and buy the 194 bulbs, they are really small basically the same bulbs as the side marker bulbs i believe. Anyway, they sell them in blue, you need 5, take the clear plasice cover the the inlay is glued to off of the back of the cluster, and you will find 5 bulbs, remove them and replace with the blue bulbs. Will cost you about $10 if you count the sand paper. I did this on my t/a and everyone thinks that I went the hard route and wired in blue led's and all that happy horse ****. Not like I'm gonna tell them that all i did was buy some blue bulbs and swap them out. Anyway, hopefully the camaro setup is the same on the inside as my t/a if so, it is very easy and looks pretty good. However there will be a couple areas on the dash that are dimmer then others, but it isn't to noticeable. Hope this helps you out so you don't go blowing a ton of money when all you have to do is this. Good luck man
Old 07-19-2005, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws six six six
the easiest way to make your gauge cluster blue it to first take off the inlay, and sand down the back till you get through all of the color and it is almost clear, then go to autozone and buy the 194 bulbs, they are really small basically the same bulbs as the side marker bulbs i believe. Anyway, they sell them in blue, you need 5, take the clear plasice cover the the inlay is glued to off of the back of the cluster, and you will find 5 bulbs, remove them and replace with the blue bulbs. Will cost you about $10 if you count the sand paper. I did this on my t/a and everyone thinks that I went the hard route and wired in blue led's and all that happy horse ****. Not like I'm gonna tell them that all i did was buy some blue bulbs and swap them out. Anyway, hopefully the camaro setup is the same on the inside as my t/a if so, it is very easy and looks pretty good. However there will be a couple areas on the dash that are dimmer then others, but it isn't to noticeable. Hope this helps you out so you don't go blowing a ton of money when all you have to do is this. Good luck man
Thanks for all the info man, I've been thinking of doing this and the only thing holding me back is all the bs you have to do to make this work in a ta. You should post up some picks of your setup when you get a chance.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

In all honesty, you can't get any more simple for blue gauges in a T/A is to just get a reverse indiglo overlay. Not only do they perfectly light up even (no dim spots), but you get silver gauge faces. Then get camaro HVAC and headlight switch and take the faces off and replace yours. Buy some #74 replacement bulbs for the HVAC (and door lights too). Only have to solder only 1 LED for your headlight switch and you're done.
Got a write-up if any with a T/A is interested....
Old 07-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
In all honesty, you can't get any more simple for blue gauges in a T/A is to just get a reverse indiglo overlay. Not only do they perfectly light up even (no dim spots), but you get silver gauge faces. Then get camaro HVAC and headlight switch and take the faces off and replace yours. Buy some #74 replacement bulbs for the HVAC (and door lights too). Only have to solder only 1 LED for your headlight switch and you're done.
Got a write-up if any with a T/A is interested....
I'm interested. And those guage overlays, just put em in and they glow blue like that right?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

pm sent im interested as well.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Does ANYONE sell the sets like they have for the camaor? I dont want to go soldering on stuff myself. I would rather just buy a plug & play type set-up. I have read a couple threads & visited a few web sites, but every one i found said i have to to the soldering myself. How come the camaro sets wont work in a Trans Am? Im confused & lost, but i still want blue interior lights & wont stop trying till i have them. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Gauge cluster itself, if you get the reverse indiglo will be a simple 2-wire hook up. You can get #74 blue LED replacement bulbs from here:
http://autolumination.com/74.htm

Those will direclty plug into the HVAC, door light, and gear indicator sockets. Then you will need to drill out the red lenses for the door lights. Then swap out the t/a HVAC, headlight switch and gear selector with camaro ones. Just the face is all you need to change.

Then you will only need to solder one LED for your headlight switch. That's typically it. For the steering wheel lights you will have to solder. The bulbs on it are actually soldered to the board. It's not the easiest thing to solder cause you'll be using 3mm LEDs instead of 5mm. Another option for the steering wheel controls is to just cut the illum. wire and they won't light up.

Hope that helps you some!!
- Del
Old 07-20-2005, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

Thankx again InfiniteReality for all your help & information. I purchased a cluster face from a 2000 Camaro SS w/black face from a member on here for $15 shipped. Now im lookin at salvage for the headlight switch plate & HVAC control plate off a camaor to switch out mine. Im almost there on gettin parts anyway.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem, glad to help! But why get a black camaro gauge face? You gonna stick LED 194 replacements behind it like the camaro guys do? That site I sent you has those replacement bulbs as well.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Yea, I Dont Really Care For The White Faced Gauges. My Pod Gauges I Have At Home Are Cobalt Autometer W/black Faces. Gotta Keep It Matchin.

Quick Reply: Trans Am BLUE interior lighting?