Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Complete newbie 9" rearend question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Complete newbie 9" rearend question

(I've been doing a LOT of reading up on the boards, so here's my thread with all of my newbie questions)

I'll soon be the proud owner of a Procharged z28. It's pretty virgin, with only 29,XXX miles. First thing to be replaced/upgraded will DEFINITALY be the rear-end, and possibly the driveshaft. The car is putting out over 450 to the rear wheels. I imagine that one hard launch will blow up the rear end

So, the plan, once I have the car and enough money to make the upgrade, is to go with a 9" rearend. The question? What the HELL kind of specs should I be looking at? (This is where the newbie part comes in) I'm not sure what kind of spline I should get, or any of the other details.

I'm just looking for suggestions at this point. It'll be at least a few months before this happens. The car, although Procharged, will be my daily driver and will even see snow (how sad ). I live in Kansas City if that helps any. It'll be driven year round. It will also see the track a few times a month tops. I try to keep it easy on the streets though, and I avoid racing unless it's on the track.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2005, 05:52 PM
9 Second Club

Get a locker diff don't mess with a posi as the clutches will wear out quick if you race a few times a month (mine lasted 50 passes). I have 31 spline axels no problems yet with DRs. We'll see about the axels when I get the ET Streets on it. 4.11s makes it cruise nice in 6th on the freeway.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a locker diff. over a posi? It's my understanding that a posi is better for street use...
Old 06-22-2005, 04:11 PM
9 Second Club

A locker is much more durable than a posi & since you said the car would see track use up to a few times a month I would recommend a locker over a posi. The disadvantage of a locker is it's noisey.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well you live within a couple hours of me, and I want to get a 9 inch with a 31 spline soft locker (supposedly less clunky than a 33 spline regular locker). But I can't find anyone close that has one that I can ride in. So here's what you do...buy one, and take me for a ride. But seriously, if you go to a track and are spending that much on a rearend, seriously think about if you want to get a posi, as they are the weak link by far. Let me know what you decide, maybe we can meet up sometime. Later.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is your car an M6 or an A4.

If it is an A4 you will be ok with a Posi but if an M6 might have to live with a little exstra noise back there.

A DS is a must with that much power you can twist a stock ILE DS apart.