Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will it ever be right again????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will it ever be right again????

I broke my stock A4 tranny at the track several weeks ago. I had run it at the track for 3 years with no trouble........then.......I put a TNT 100 shot on my car and hit it off the line. It wheel hopped hard and broke my posi and broke the tranny.

They rebuilt the tranny and put it back together. Drove fine for a couple hundred miles then it wouldn't shift on it's own. I had to manually shift it. They went back in and replaced the forward sprag and seemed to be ok again...

But...since the first time I got it back, something just didn't feel right. I can hear a fine ringing sound that wasn't there before that day at the track and a very slight vibration on the throttle that would get a little more noticeable right before a shift. Anyone else driving my car didn't notice it, but I know my car, and it wasn't right.

Today after about 20 miles of city driving, which it doesn't normally get, the vibration got real bad, and then it wouldn't shift into OD. I had to keep it in 3rd gear. Then it wouldn't shift into 3rd very good and sometimes not at all! When I got back to my office, it put EFI Live on it and there where no codes and nothing pending. I went for a little drive and it showed the tranny temp going up to 190 degrees. It usually stays around 140, 160 at the most.

Any idea what is wrong now? I know there are a ton of parts in a tranny and not easy to fine all the broken parts, but does anyone know what this could be? I am really hoping it isn't my torque converter.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone know what this could be?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, It goes up on the lift Friday and will check all those out. I will post if they find what it is. I do have the TCI flexplate but they looked at that the other day and it was fine.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The high temps could be caused by a lot of slipping but you probably would have noticed that your engine rpms would have probably been higher than normal or that you needed more throttle than usual. Another possibility is that you have some junk in your cooler lines or coolers and that is restricting flow through your cooler.

Is the ringing sound like a whine? Since you broke your posi it could be gear whine. One way to test that is to listen for a change in pitch when you let off the gas and coast down. If loading/unloading the rear changes the sound; its gear whine.