Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hptuners + wideband + boost = I don't know how to tune it

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hptuners + wideband + boost = I don't know how to tune it

Ok, how in the hell do you tune a boosted vehicle? My ltrims are all f'd up as far as i can tell. I'm using the stock 1bar map and i'm told that might be a problem for tuning. I guess I am looking for step by step instructions to get my ve and a/f in line. thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

depends on how much boost you plan to run. 2 bar map sensors are usually good for 15 lbs, so unless you plan on running like 7lbs or less, i think it will **** things up.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

How are you adding fuel with the software? I would try to keep my injector and MAF table as close to stock as possible - this will get your LTFT's in line. Stick with the PE table for fuel under boost. You have to fake the PCM into thinking it is calling for a 7:1 AF ratio to get it to 12:1.

-Geoff
Old 06-22-2005, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
depends on how much boost you plan to run. 2 bar map sensors are usually good for 15 lbs, so unless you plan on running like 7lbs or less, i think it will **** things up.

and a big negative on the last statment there man..... one bar MAP is good to 0....... Vacumm to 0 and a 2 bar is 0-14.7psi and +14.7 psi for each bar after......
Old 06-22-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Does anyone know how I should go about tuning my truck? Please. I don't get it. Does it matter what my ltrims look like? HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:03 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Yes, it does matter what your LTFT look like. Basically you want them to all be 0 or at worst -1s or -2s. I see your in New Hampshire, I know someone that can probably give you a hand so you have a PM coming.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

so where do i begin to get the ltft lower? sd mode? do i need to stay out of PE? should i reset my fuel trims and drive 100 miles? do i just add 10 or so to my VE cells? anyone? please!!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:03 AM
9 Second Club

what changed to throw your nelson tune so far off. Email me your hptuners bin
cablebandit@charter.net and a log if you have it
Old 06-22-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
and a big negative on the last statment there man..... one bar MAP is good to 0....... Vacumm to 0 and a 2 bar is 0-14.7psi and +14.7 psi for each bar after......

sorry, please dont listen to me, lol. at least im trying to be helpful
Old 06-22-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put your MAF table back to stock. Then multiply your injector table by 1.5 or so. Keep tweaking the injector table from there until your LTFT's line up. Move the whole injector curve up and down by even amounts and you should get there eventually. Do this before doing the WOT stuff with the wideband.

-Geoff
Old 06-22-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by White_Hawk
Put your MAF table back to stock. Then multiply your injector table by 1.5 or so. Keep tweaking the injector table from there until your LTFT's line up. Move the whole injector curve up and down by even amounts and you should get there eventually. Do this before doing the WOT stuff with the wideband.

-Geoff
That is the WRONG way to go about it, NEVER change the IFR table to tune! Only change the IFR table if you changed injectors, other criticle tables also use the IFR and you could really screw things up that way.

You need get 2-BAR support to tune your truck ... what PSI are you aiming for? Once you have the 2-BAR support, you'll want to log the wideband O2 AFR and the commanded AFR. In the hiostogram of HPTuners you can then log the AFR % Error and mutliply the VE table by this amount. This is of course after you have set the PE table to the correct values for WOT operation (Stoich AFR x PE value x rpm).
Old 06-22-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
That is the WRONG way to go about it, NEVER change the IFR table to tune! Only change the IFR table if you changed injectors, other criticle tables also use the IFR and you could really screw things up that way.

You need get 2-BAR support to tune your truck ... what PSI are you aiming for? Once you have the 2-BAR support, you'll want to log the wideband O2 AFR and the commanded AFR. In the hiostogram of HPTuners you can then log the AFR % Error and mutliply the VE table by this amount. This is of course after you have set the PE table to the correct values for WOT operation (Stoich AFR x PE value x rpm).
Ok, now i'm totally confused. I just spend several hours tuning my ifr table and now have my ltrims in line. Was that the wrong thing to do? i'm NOT spending another $300 or whatever it costs to get the 2bar support. I just can't do it.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Read his sig. He has 42 lb'ers on pickup truck. I am taking a shot in the dark and guessing they are not stock, unless he is driving a Lightning.

DenaliHD, you did the right thing to get your injectors in line. Next step is to richen up your PE a little, and start going into boost. Keep an eye on your MAF readings in the scanner, as long as you are not getting near 512 g/sec, you should be able to tune pretty straightforward on your PE table. If you start maxing out your MAF, you have to fake the PE table to get more fuel. Ask for 10:1 or 9:1 to get to 12:1 - that kind of stuff.

-Geoff
Old 06-23-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, if he indeed did not have the IFR table matched to his injectors ... then there is where the problem lays. Hence why I said:

Only change the IFR table if you changed injectors ...
DanaliHD,

Was the IFR table adjusted to the new injectors? If not, then my appologies ... White_Hawk was correct. If they are adjusted then you need the 2-BAR support. Post your IFR table and we will be able to figure it out.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

my ifr was set at 5.25 across the board. I used an excel sheet last night that i got from white_hawk and it totally fixed my ltrims. I'm in the process now of tweaking it to get the ltrims all around -4ish. The problem i'm having is the ifr table only goes to 80map and i'm getting ltrims of +4 at 85-105map.

should i just adjust the ve at this point?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
my ifr was set at 5.25 across the board. I used an excel sheet last night that i got from white_hawk and it totally fixed my ltrims. I'm in the process now of tweaking it to get the ltrims all around -4ish. The problem i'm having is the ifr table only goes to 80map and i'm getting ltrims of +4 at 85-105map.

should i just adjust the ve at this point?
I don't remember sending you anything but I am glad to help you out! Unless you get a two bar, then you are stuck with PE. That's how we used to do it in the old days before HPTuners (last year).

-Geoff
Old 06-23-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by White_Hawk
I don't remember sending you anything but I am glad to help you out! Unless you get a two bar, then you are stuck with PE. That's how we used to do it in the old days before HPTuners (last year).

-Geoff

I sent him the spreadsheet. (joking) I feel so used and abused (/joking)

I never ran a 2 bar, I just adjusted the fuel through the PE. Guess I'm cheap or something.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
I never ran a 2 bar, I just adjusted the fuel through the PE. Guess I'm cheap or something.
Nope, just not making enough power to need it
You will soon though
Old 06-23-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Once you get past the price, the 2bar SD program is excellent. I went ( with my old 4.8) from a best of 13.78 to 13.20 using the 2-bar and it's enhanced tuning capabilities.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:22 PM
9 Second Club

i'm running with no 2bar...just standard hptuners at 15psi and numbers in sig.

Quick Reply: Hptuners + wideband + boost = I don't know how to tune it