Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone ever snap their Cartek/Adjustable Master?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever snap their Cartek/Adjustable Master?

The C5 I bought has what the previous owner told me is a Cartek master. I'm waiting for Cartek to call me back to confirm this but am pretty sure its a Cartek unit.

Clutch worked fine, Spec III.

Took it to the drag strip yesterday and ran it 3 times, once granny shifting, 2 times powershifting.

Today on the way to work, goto shift, SNAP, broke it right where the rod screws into the bolt.

I'm assuming its from the abuse powershifting it, although I would expect it to hold up.

When I sold the RX7 the thing I dreaded was going back to the GM Master setup, took a whole 5 days. I'd love to see if I could get the Wildwood unit to work in the C5, fix alot of the problems.

Bought a new Z06 unit today, just have to get the car in the air to disconnect it from the tranny, WAY easier swap on the C5 than on the F-body.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the Cartek adjustable master about 5 years ago. I'm still using it today on the third clutch (RAM) in the car. It lasted a whole lot longer than the Cartek clutch itself. I got 3 months out of that clutch
Old 06-23-2005, 10:09 AM
8 Second Club

Yep broke mine the weekend I put it in-what a piece of garbage!
Old 06-23-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well after taking it out of the car I can see why.

The F-body was clamped in place and probably gave good support, teh twist and lock with the Y body probably gives alot of flex.

I remember them breaking before and I contacted Cartek and they told me only a few had broken, waiting for Dave to call me back.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well that was part of it, the plastic lock and twist.

2 of the tabs were broken and gone so they broke a while ago, maybe from the header heat?

Eitherway I replaced the unit and it shifts so much smoother and easier. The adjustable unit had tons of pedal pressure, this one just is easy.

Granted I won't powershift like before because it was right at the top of the pedal but this one won't break either.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever snap their Cartek/Adjustable Master?