Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Ahhhhh, the fleecing of america at its best.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ahhhhh, the fleecing of america at its best.

With the purchase of our new home I will be adding a 60gal. upright air compressor. SOOOOOOO, I've been doing a little shopping around. Right now its a toss up between the Lowes Kobalt and the Craftsman.
Craftsman
Lowes Kobalt

Craftsman has a 1 year warantee on it for home use, the Kobalt is a 3 year waratee and the pump has a 12000 hour life. So to me it looked like the craftsman was what was going to fit the wallet even with a sub par warantee it was what was going to work for me.

So doing a little more reseach I stop by the "tools of the trade" section here on wonderful LS1tech.com and find a thread talking about how the Kobalt pump at a Lowes location elsewhere is just a bit over 400.00!! WTF!

So I hop onto lowes site and it says to punch inyour zip code. Yup sure enough, Mill Creek location:547.00. THEN I go back and punch in the zip code for Boise ID (83702) and see THE SAME ******* PUMP FOR 427.00!!!!.

WTF IS THIS BULLSHIT! Just because we happen to live in one of the highest cost of living areas in the god damn nation, Lowes thinks they can dip further into my pocket! BULLSHIT!

You can bet your sweet *** when it comes time to buy I am taking in a printed copy of the Boise id page to my local store and saying "here is what I am paying for this and not a ******* nickel more".

Just a note to do some research before you buy.

Last edited by NataSS Inc; 06-22-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

The dumb thing is, they'll probably just shrug their shoulders at you and say... well, go buy it in Boise then. That's what car dealerships do too... a load of BS for sure.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:02 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this one and it's too loud for my garage. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...+%26+Inflators

oil less compressors are the loudest out there.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Makes me wonder what the cost of that sucker is in L.A., S.F or N.Y then if it is worse in higher cost of living areas..........
Old 06-22-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Yup. Higher cost of living = Higher rent and/or taxes and higher employee pay, thus higher product cost. IT really sucks. You should see what GM parts cost out here in L.A. Most people say don't buy from GMpartsdirect.com, because their shipping is super expensive, but even with shipping the parts are cheaper than going to the local dealer and picking them up. You shoould see what it costs to ship that to your house, its a heavy SOB, but non the less, it may ship for less than $120 (the difference between WA & ID)
Old 06-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Launching!

u should shop criegs list or something and try to find a rotory screw or rotory vein compressor nice and quiet so you wont need to wear ear plugs while working around it.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont need to ship it. Throw that bitch in the back of the suburban and drive it home. The new house is 5 mintues from lowes. I'll be got damed if I am paying a delivery charge for it. I'll put it on a dolley and drag it home if I have to.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

That is crazy!

When you buy your new house add a lift to the price...for 5 bucks a month more it is worth it.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not enough clearence for a lift. believe me I already looked ino it.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Not enough clearence for a lift. believe me I already looked ino it.
I should of known.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

That is friggin amazing Boyce! Like they say on the res (in Sow-D'kota) BOP-TUSE WASHU (Souix for bend over white boy....)
Old 06-22-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok I have to add....
...Drive your *** to Boise and buy it then truck it home

Fact of life Boys and girls EVERY thing in this area cost more. From Rent to Saleriers. The only way it will go down is if everyone takes a pay cut to cover it.

...And I do not really see anyone doing that

Of all people Boyce you should know this the best you ARE a Financal Consultant right?

Everyone want to make more but no one wants to pay for it
Old 06-22-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Then explain to me why the craftsman one is the same price no matter where you are?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Then explain to me why the craftsman one is the same price no matter where you are?
I was thinking the same thing, lol.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why yes it does. They just jack the prices every where else to make up for it. Hard ware stores work on a different scale then Department stores correct?

Like I said you want to save the cash go drive Thats what I do when needed!

Like I said YOU of all people should under stand how it works
Old 06-22-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still dont get it. I charge the same fees to ANYONE, ANYWHERE. I dont give my client in Utah a break on fees because hes from a "lower cost of living" area and he might not be able to afford it. And I sure as hell dont jack my fees for my biggest client that I spend most of my time on just because I know hes worth 42 million. Its a 1500.00 retainer, 1% on management of funds and hourly rate for bullshit assignments is 250.00/hour. Doesnt matter if you from Medina or Hazard county Kentucky.

Minimum wage is a set scale (federally). Even though they are probably arent paying them minimum wage I garantee its not enough from boise to seattle to make that drastic of a difference in thier pricing. Large Co. like Lowes (also safeway, albertsons, home depot etc) dont get loans for land or to build. They pay cash (for a lack easier terms, OK, they buy and sell thier own stocks and bonds internally and take it as a long term loss that way they can write off the difference. Home depot being the only exception, they have to take it as a long term gain ((they have been doing VERY well)) ). they have enough cash reserves that they dont have to worry about a mortgage on the land that they have to make monthly payments on, because it was already paid for in "cash" and they own it outright. Usually the turn around time to recover the funds spent on buying the land and construction ON TOP of employee salaries and property tax is a bit less than 3 years. Then its money money money.

ALOT of companies use the "cost of living" excuse because they can. And they can get away with it. Also known as "gouging", "price fixing" and "predatory pricing". Its not a problem until there is a disaster in the local area. Lets say we had a serious power outage in the area that lastest a couple of weeks. And someone with alot of ingenuity, say.....Mark hops on line some how and finds out that the generators locally are 500.00 and then see that the same thing in good old Lincoln Nebraska is only 390.00...........ruh roh, call king 5 news. Lowes is about to get thier **** eaten for lunch.

I guess the problem is that everyone sits back and takes it. BUT NOT THIS PUPPY!!! DAMN THE MAN!!! I'M BRINGING THEM DOWN!!!!! I WILL BE THE GIANT SLAYER!!!!

Anyways, The reason for the price difference is bullshit, but the co. can use a bullshit excuse to get away with it. I know how the game gets played, but I dont have to like it.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I've never really understood this stuff. What the market will bear I guess. But I can buy new cars in Omaha for $5k under my best price here. And don't get me started on our gas prices. The price we pay for living in "God's Country" I guess.....

At least you found this out BEFORE you bought it Boyce. That's a good thing!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Housing is a completely different ball game Mark. Housing cost usually revolves around the "cost of land", local income averages, supply and demand. Right now in our area there is a 30% shortage of "1st time homes" (high 100's-high 200's). So anyone selling a first time home can ask a premium for it.

Its not like there is a shortage of air compressors in Snohomish Co.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with Boyce. It is BS. The price should be the price, especially online.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sears (overlake) had a returned upright two-phase compressor (240v) that was in near-perfect condition for about $350. It might still be there if you hurry.

Quick Reply: Ahhhhh, the fleecing of america at its best.