Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1986 Mustang drop top.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1986 Mustang drop top.

Well, it happened about a week or two ago, but since I'm fairly new to the forum, I figured I would share my story.

It happened after work, on my way to pick up my girlfriend. I took a shortcut to avoid traffic (******* tourests) and as I go to pull out, a bright red GT (I assume '86 because of wheels/headlights) steps on it and makes me wait for 3-4 more cars. He obviouslty had a cheap exhaust on it (About 2 1/2 inch). This makes me aggrivated, but its obvious he wanted to play a little bit.

So I'm on 302 (2 lane) and all the cars turn into various parking lots for stores. I get a chance to follow him around a little bit, but nothing much because of traffic. Up ahead is a road that dwindles off traffic alot (heads towards Portland Maine). Well, traffic cleared, and the Mustang in front of my had to slow to about 30. I waited for the clearing, and I tryed my best to aviod a jump on me.

He stepped on it, I lagged a little, but it went into first w/o a problem. I caught up untill it hit second, and stayed about even. Once the RPM's came up I just started to catch him, but he shut off at 75. We catch up to another car, and I see him looking in the mirror. I give him a thumbs up. Fortunatly, the car in front of the mustang lets us go by, (thank you!) and we went at it again. A drop from 50 to 90. I was about 2 car lengths back, and caught him by 90 easy. I had to let off, or I would have imbedded myself into his rear bumper.

I thought that '86 was the first year to intoduce the 225 "h.o" engine? I assume it would have been alot worse if the car had not been modded, (the '86).
Old 06-22-2005, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

87 was the first year for the 225hp. I think that 1 put out 215hp
Old 06-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think only 200 HP. I had one, it was slow. Power dip from 85 to 86 then 87 it went up to 225 hp.