Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Foam Baffles With New Door Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam Baffles With New Door Speakers?

I'm putting in new Polk speakers into the doors on my Yukon (6 1/2" Polk)....should I use the foam baffles (like the ones from crutchfield) that protect the speakers from the elements with the install? I want to know how the sound quality will change with the baffles, becasause the stock speakers have a good bass response using the interior of the door as an enclosure - I'm thinking that a small foam baffle will take that away and muffle the new speakers as far as bass goes.....thoughts?

By the way, I have changed the whole system (amps/head units/etc) already.....
Old 06-23-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

If you use a "baffle", it will create an inclosure for the speaker, alot smaller than the door. Meaning your bass response will be alot less.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

i cut the bottom backside out of my baffles to resemble the stock ones and pretty much just made a water shield out of them. if you are lucky enough to just pick up one baffle on the cheap you could simply cut it in half and get 2 watershields.

i didnt notice any evidence of water getting close to that area when doing my install tho. unless you live in monsoon areas you could prolly get away with not using them at all. i just did it for peace of mind.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Teching In

could you use these baffles for an inclosure for like a small subwoofer?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had them in my doors with my MB Quart RCE216 componet set. After I installed them, I noticed that there was a popping sound. Pulled my panel back off and come to find out it was the baffles.. Removed them completely and all is good now. Also have the same set of components in the sail panels with baffles. I ended up removing all baffles from the car and like the sound better..
Side note: my sails sound WAY better and louder than the fronts for some reason with the same amp (different channels), pushing them.. Wonder why
Old 06-27-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by huggerorangss
could you use these baffles for an inclosure for like a small subwoofer?

That and water protection is what they are made for.
Putting a enclosure around a free air speaker will make it sound like crap.
Most if not all of the mid-bass will be gone.
It is best to cut the bottom out of the baffle if you need the water protection.

Quick Reply: Foam Baffles With New Door Speakers?