Default NASCAR coming to Bremerton?????

Just in off the presses;

Racing Coming To Kitsap County

June 23, 2005

By KOMO Staff & News Services

Tools
Email This Story
Printer-friendly Version

KITSAP COUNTY - International Speedway Corp., thwarted last year in a plan to build a NASCAR racetrack about 30 miles north of Seattle, reportedly is set to build one across Puget Sound.

Officials of the auto racing development and promotion company based in Daytona Beach, Fla., will announce plans Thursday to build an 80,000-seat track on 950 acres near Washington 3 south of Bremerton National Airport along the Kitsap-Mason county line, the Kitsap Sun reported.

ISC released some details of the plan to the newspaper Wednesday but not the financing plan or naming rights.

If the Legislature grants approval and county permits are issued, construction could begin in 2007 or 2008 on a track of 7-8 of a mile to 1.2 miles surrounded by parking and camping areas with a tiered grandstand offering views of Mount Rainier in clear weather, the Sun reported. Last September company officials announced the selection of a site by Interstate 5 near Marysville for a 75,000-seat NASCAR track, promising to spend $50 million of the $250 million cost and cover any overruns in exchange for $200 million of public financing.

Government experts estimated the plan would have required an additional $50 million in road work and other improvements, and Snohomish County and Marysville officials decided in November that fiscal risk to taxpayers was too great.

ISC then reopened the site selection process across much of western Oregon and Washington.

"I think they learned a lot from the Snohomish deal," said state Sen. Tim Sheldon, D-Potlatch. "That whole deal was a debacle. I don't think they did enough homework on the site, and too much of the negotiating they did was in the public, which backfired."

One advantage of the new site, officials said, was that only one landowner is directly involved, compared with 30 at the Marysville location.

"I've had a feeling from day one that we would have an opportunity at this," Kitsap County Commissioner Janice E. Angel said. "Even when Snohomish County was picked the first time, I felt that we'd get a chance."

Despite the potential cost, economic development agencies throughout the region have competed in efforts to lure the track, which could generate $87.3 million to $121.8 million in business a year, mostly from out-of-state tourists, according to a study commissioned by supporters.

ISC owns most of its 11 tracks outright, but the proposed track near Marysville would have been publicly owned and leased to the company for three car races a year - the same number contemplated at the Port Orchard site.

Company officials said Wednesday it was too early to say how much they would seek from Washington state and Kitsap County but indicated a similar partnership is part of the plan.

ISC officials said they were eager to build a racetrack in the Pacific Northwest, which now has at least 11,000 ticket-buying fans, because the Southeast market is well-saturated and the nearest West Coast track is in Sonoma, about 40 miles north of San Francisco, company vice president Grant Lynch said.

"When you look at the map, there's basically a quarter of the country that we're not serving," Lynch said.

For more information:

www.thesunlink.com
Old 06-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well at least Bremerton will be closer, but I'd much rather have it down here in Scapoose where one of the site bids was but good to see them finaly get a plan laid out. A day at a NASCAR event can be fun.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Marysville miss out on a great oppurtunity.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with you there Todd.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Todd2001SS
I think Marysville miss out on a great oppurtunity.
Marysville, Yelm, Lacey, Chehalis, Kent.... the all missed out. But, I think that the Bremerton area makes the most sense. It is a very transitional area and a lot of growth going on out there. Plus, new infrastructure with Hwy. 16 and 3. And, it is a good location for both north and south sound fans. Good idea to do this out there.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once that other bridge is in to cross the narrows the highway 16 commute issue is solved and this side is really going to grow. It will also be able to easily support traffic for races. With a south kitsap location it really isn't too far to drive around the water down by Olympia and come back up to the track.

I think it would be smart for them to really consider making it a longer track like the possible 1.2 miler mentioned in the article. Short tracks are boring.

I might even have to consider going to a big race
Old 06-24-2005, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

They will certainly need to get that bridge in. I can't imagine trying to get 75,000 people in & out of there right now!
Old 06-24-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
They will certainly need to get that bridge in. I can't imagine trying to get 75,000 people in & out of there right now!
It is gonna be insane, that is for sure!
Old 06-24-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
I agree with you there Todd.

How far is it from Portland?
Sure wish that that avtar was bigger,I tried to make it larger but it just wasnt clear.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

about 3hrs or so Take i-5 then 16 & 16 turns to 3. I talked to a couple people tonight & thety are saying when it goes in it will be just South of the Current Bremerton raceways site.

You guys Do know that Bremerton raceways is looking for a new site In the same area? Motorcomplex?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
about 3hrs or so Take i-5 then 16 & 16 turns to 3. I talked to a couple people tonight & thety are saying when it goes in it will be just South of the Current Bremerton raceways site.

You guys Do know that Bremerton raceways is looking for a new site In the same area? Motorcomplex?

Thanks for the info,now about the avtar,is there a link anywhere to bring it up to fullsize?Signed normal male perv.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Thanks for the info,now about the avtar,is there a link anywhere to bring it up to fullsize?Signed normal male perv.
HUM No but I can email you one if you want. Its NOT me thats for damn sure. lol
Old 06-25-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

That wont be nessesary but thanks.Seems you are very active in the fourms and cars are a passion.Keep up the good work.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

What ya thought it was me? lol Its just a drawing lol. A friend made it for me several years ago. Just shortly after I started racing & really getting in to the cars( Hey that was 5 years ago this summer) lol
Old 06-25-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Ya and the small pic leaves something to the imagination.Im I the only creep to have brought it up in all the years?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Ya and the small pic leaves something to the imagination.Im I the only creep to have brought it up in all the years?
no you are not. lol & you are not a creep lol.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Lets change your handle to
Krazzycoolgirl!
Old 06-26-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we need a floating bridge across the sound.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't even want to try to go over there with all the Traffic! Could you imagine, once they get that new bridge in Tacoma they are going to be stopping everyone to pay a toll...Traffic is just going to be worse than it is now! And the Ferries are going to be lined up for miles...I honestly don't think Bremerton is a wise choice either. Marysville or anywhere on this side of the water would have surely been a better spot.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

If they build the track I dont think there is going to be a Toll because the money the state & the County & the town would make from the track being there would give them enough money to pay for the bridge

Quick Reply: NASCAR coming to Bremerton?????