Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Where did the fluid go

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where did the fluid go

I gravity bled the hydraulics on my T56 ('98) Tue. evening and the next evening I pushed the clutch pedal and it went to the floor. Started bleeding it again and noticed a lot of air bubbles. Despite the fact that my reservior stays full, I guess the throw out is gone. But where did the fluid go? I the leak is so bad that air is getting into the system at the throw out there should be lots of fluid in the bell housing. I dug out about 1/4 " of the bell housing/ block gasket to drain any fluid and jacked up the rear of the car about 5 " higher than the front. Still no fluid coming from the bell housing.
Forgot to mention, this is a new install in my RX7. Guess the engine/ tranny has been in stirage a long time.

Last edited by RFERG43; 06-23-2005 at 12:31 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-23-2005, 10:16 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of master cylinder you using for it?
Have you tried bleeding it w/a mighty vac?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

There's a slot at the bottom of the bell housing and the fluid migrates down and drips out of that slot.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Are you loosing fluid or is it just that air keeps getting into the system?
Old 06-24-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry about where it went, because it went into never never land

Seriously. I tried to bleed out my master on my LS1 RX7 and the same thing happened, kept bleeding and bleeding and got more and more air bubbles and very little fluid.

It was strange, but its the exact same thing you mentioned. I replaced the slave, I highly doubt that Wildwood master went bad, might be the same thing on yours.

Swapped the slave, bled the crap out of the slave and left the master alone, worked fine.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Launching!

I gravity bled the system again Sat morning and this time I didn't touch the pedal. Sunday eve I checked the reservior and the fluid level was exactly where I left it. If the slave was leaking it would have to draw fluid from the reservior.
Maybe I am using the wrong master. It is a 3/4 bore Wilwood (see attatchment) . There is no bleed valve on the master. Maybe it is intended for use with an external slave cylinder. If so, can someone give me the part no. of the one I should be using? I ordered the cylinder from JEGS' web site. I can't find the thing in their catalog.
Well, the attatchment manager doesn't want to work today.