Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

want to swap to steering wheel w/ radio.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to swap to steering wheel w/ radio.

...and i wanted to double check...you can take a steering wheel off and leave the airbag intact, right? so if i can buy a 00 steering wheel w/ controls but no airbag, i should be able to swap it onto a 94 w/ an airbag, no?

sorry, i'm kinda tired as i typed this...

thanks for any help guys

matt
Old 06-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If I understand correctly - no. You can't just take the airbag out of your 94 steering wheel, mount it in the 00 wheel, and put it in your 94 car. For that matter, you couldn't even mount an 00 wheel complete with airbag on your 94 and expect the radio controls to work without other changes.

First, the airbag is different between 94 and 00, so even if it will physically attach to the newer wheel, it probably wouldn't work properly. Second, you would need to get the correct coil kit that connects the airbag and the radio controls. Again, these are different between 94 and 00. I don't know if you could get the coil kit for a 94 with radio controls and make it work with the 00 wheel or if you should get the 00 coil kit and hope it works on the 94 steering column.

You don't say if you have a Camaro or Firebird. On the Camaro you have the additional problem that the horn switch contact assembly (under the steering wheel pad) is different for a wheel with radio controls than one without them - so you'd have to change that as well.

The 93 through 99 Camaro wheels were interchangeable but the radio controls weren't available until 00. On the Firebird there were three different designs: 93-94, 95-99, and 00-02. Interchangeability isn't listed but the part numbers aren't even in the same range which usually means some significant differences.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, thanks for the help. i should have mentioned it was a firebird...