Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince me to swap Sweet Thunder's for my bullets

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Convince me to swap Sweet Thunder's for my bullets

I know, I know, I shouldn't have to ask this. I've searched and read, even voted in polls before, but I'm asking anyway. Here is why i ask:

I know they will sound better. The only thing holding me back, other than the price, is the "2.5" core". I know there are mixed feelings on how well they flow and my exhaust is going to have to support nearly 450 rwhp NA and at least 550-600 rwhp on the bottle, so I don't want ANY uneccessary restriction.

Will I be leaving anything on the table when I eventually have a heads/cam/nitrous motor? Every thread I've read about people not sure on what mufflers to get had power levels at or below 450 rwhp.

Should I get the sweet thunders?

Does anybody in Indiana have a cammed LS1 with ST equipped duals? Hearing them in person again might just make up my mind. (I'll ask this in the midwestern section as well...I know there is at least one but I havn't heard his car for a couple years)

Thanks for your input on a beat to death subject.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://ls1sounds.com/true_duals/TDs-...224-114cam.wmv
If that doesn't make up your mind I don't know what will.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Hey, thanks for replying. I was betting nobody would say anything. It's amazing, people ask the same "what oil", "what cam" (when they have a lid/catback only), "what does a converter do" questions all the time and still get some kind of answers. Oh well, at least nobody told me to use the search button.

Yeah, I have that video on my computer. The problem is that sound/video clips just don't do most exhausts justice. The only time my current setup doesn't sound 100% badass is at part throttle lazy driving around from about 2k to 3k or 3.5k. I think a lot of that is just because the converter is so loose that it runs at a nearly constant rpm so I don't get the ascending and descending engine speeds in that specific situation. At idle and low speeds it rumbles and lopes like aracecar and when I give it some gas or get the revs high it screams. I'm still undecided, but I can't afford anything at this exact point in time anyway. I'm trying to decide what I want to try and get for my birthday in Sept.

Not too long ago some friends of a buddy of mine (fellow board member) came to listen to my car, and they were told it was LOUD and sounded badass, etc, but they still jumped when I revved it.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your car will be H/C/nitrous, i would not go with the Sweet Thunders, only because with the 2.5" core, it will be a bottle neck after 450. I'm sure someone on here can put the math up again for you, but i was told that 2.5" exhaust could handle 450 before it started to be a problem.
Don't get me wrong, i LOVE my ST duals. But i only planned my car to be H/C N/A, which puts me right around 450. just my $0.02

What were those rules i saw last night....

rule#1- make the car go faster than loud.
rule#2- see rule #1
Old 06-24-2005, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stark
If your car will be H/C/nitrous, i would not go with the Sweet Thunders, only because with the 2.5" core, it will be a bottle neck after 450. I'm sure someone on here can put the math up again for you, but i was told that 2.5" exhaust could handle 450 before it started to be a problem.
Don't get me wrong, i LOVE my ST duals. But i only planned my car to be H/C N/A, which puts me right around 450. just my $0.02

What were those rules i saw last night....

rule#1- make the car go faster than loud.
rule#2- see rule #1
Yeah, I remember seeing ~450 rwhp (M6) being the limit that dual 2.5" exhaust can handle before it begins to be less than ideal. Then again it should be plenty for heads/cam while NA and once I spray (which won't be for awhile) I can always put some cutouts to open header on for use at the track.

I might plan to do it that way.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

have you considered pro-flo twisters. I have heard that they are less restrictive than sweet thunders, yet still have a better sound than bullets
Old 06-24-2005, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by natronathon
have you considered pro-flo twisters. I have heard that they are less restrictive than sweet thunders, yet still have a better sound than bullets
No, I havn't. Not many people seem to run them, but I will look into those tonight. I'm pretty sure I want the ST sound, I might just bite the bullet and get them and not worry about the "restriction" until I have more power. Be an excuse to get cutouts to open header.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by natronathon
yea I would definitely look into those, they aren't as loud, don't drone as bad, and they sound bad ***! Lane tested this against the bullets in a dyno test with a 2.5 X pipe I believe and he said he didn't lose any ponies with these.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I switched from bullets to sweet thunders and my only regret is not doing it sooner. Wow my car sounds mean!!! I went with 3" X and then to 2.5" Sweet Thunders and car feels stonger than it did with the bullets....
Old 06-25-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had sweet thunder true duals and my camaro sounded mean as can be, but they flow horribly. My cam was a 230/234 and it wouldn't pull past 6200 rpms on a stock bottom end. I had LS6 intake and long tubes and no cats. I loved the sound, but nothing beats performance. My y-pipe setup on my TA flows better than my old sweet thunders did. The 2.5" core is even smaller than that. There is only about a 1" hole for the air to go through. Stay away from them.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:58 AM
11 Second Club

I did a bunch more reading/searching, trying to find the sound of sweet thunders with the flow of dynomax bullets. The closest thing looks to be Flo Pro Twisters, though I still have to check out single chamber flows.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

keep updating this post im in the same boat you are. i wanna switch too, but the 2.5'' is turning me away. i was the awesome sound, and the power. i dont wanna lose power just to sound good.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

That clip that I gave is odd, because it is the only clip I have ever listened to that sounds exactly like the sweet thunders do. Just about all other sound clips don't sound anything like the real deal. There was also one other clip of the tsp231/237 that sounded about right as well. Anyhow I would MUCH rather my car sound amazing and lose 10rwhp than sound ok and have 10rwhp more. To me the difference is negligable. If you are so concerned go with your original idea of running dual cutouts before the mufflers.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

If I had a lot of money I would go get some cutouts and test them for you on the dyno but, I don't
Old 06-25-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
keep updating this post im in the same boat you are. i wanna switch too, but the 2.5'' is turning me away. i was the awesome sound, and the power. i dont wanna lose power just to sound good.
I wouldn't worry too much. Your mind will be made up soon enough, when you come down. Only problem is my car is on stands waiting for a new rear. I can certainly crank it up though and shoot a few revs. The only problem is that you wouldn't be able to hear the driving which, I think besides the idle, is the best sounding part.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

well, im planning on picking up a few cutouts, and welding them in anyway. just b/c i love the sound of open headers.lol. and theyre relativelty cheap. and if i could find some ST's for cheap, i would pick them up too.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 777
Anyhow I would MUCH rather my car sound amazing and lose 10rwhp than sound ok and have 10rwhp more. To me the difference is negligable. If you are so concerned go with your original idea of running dual cutouts before the mufflers.
I know 10rwhp is an arbitrary number, but I don't think I'd do ST's if I was going to lose even half that, especially since it would only get worse when I modded further. I think I'd rather run the Flo Pro Twisters and get a sound much closer to the ST's than my bullets, without losing any power. I could do the cutouts, but the power wouldn't always be there. Sometimes I have the hardest time making decisions regarding the car. You should have seen how much time I spent figuring out what to get when my tranny took a crap. I was sooo close to putting a TH400 in it. Kinda wish I had....until I drive on the interstate.

If I wasn't going out of town tonight I'd be listening to a board member's car with ST's on duals with a g5x2. Maybe next week....
Old 06-25-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, well I don't know about how much power they lose. I know I made 386 rwhp without the ported tb and pulley. Plus the tsp231/237 isn't a very max power cam. I doubt my exhaust is holding me up too much. I was changin plugs today and foun oil all up on the #7 plug so i've prolly got a bad ring there. I'll be checking compression to see how bad it is, or if it is bad at all. Could just be the gay pcv.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, it might not be that bad. Cylinder #7 is the most common one to lose though.....

As I stand right now if I were to order something it would be Flo Pros. I still have to consider flowmaster single chambers though.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Default Update

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Okay, I've looked into this some more, and I may have a winner....if I can justify (and afford) the money. From searching, this is what I've come up with in an attempt to combine quality sound and high flow. (flow being more important)

Borla XR1 sportsman. Specifically the 3" x 12" straight through oval body, part #40943.

http://www.borla.com/products/produc...acing+Mufflers

http://www.eadperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=315

It combines a straight through design with a standard muffler body. The extra interior volume does more muffling of the exhaust and gives it a better tone than a bullet style while the straight through design doesn't rob any horsepower. I can only assume that they will still be loud enough, given the straight through design. I still want people to jump out of their skin and the hair on the back of my neck to stand on end when I rev it up or go WOT. Construction is entire stainless steel so it should last. It's small enough to fit under the car with duals, though tight, but stock height cars are apparently okay. Too bad they are $110/ea times two plus installation.

Thoughts?

99Formula M6, where do you stand now?