Sponsored by:

My car sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car sucks.

97' Camaro RS (R-eal S-hitty)
Stock tranny, stock converter, stock everything in the drive train.
I know what you're thinking..."throw it away" lol i would if i could =/

Welp i take care of my car the best i can.
About a week ago i noticed that between 2nd-3rd there would be a hesitation between the shifts, it would be a sloppy no *umph* shift and it would rev higher than normal.

now a week later it's making all kinds of noise (sounds like the pump...i know....hurray) but i wanted a second opinion on this.

I started the car, it ran for about a minute, i left my house and drove roughly a mile and 1/2, 2 miles at best and decided that yes the tranny was still being a heap of poop, it started to make noise once it warmed up and i wasn't about to get stranded, so i took a right hand turn and then pulled into someones drive way, shifted into Reverse to turn around and pull out.....no dice, hey looky it's not gripping, i give it gas, and it just revvs as if i had it in neutral (which no i didn't, i looked down lol)

so, i pop open the door cause some hill billy was eyeing me through his window and i waved, he comes out and i tell him what's going on (about a period of 5 minutes) and he says no problem, i get back in put it in reverse, still no grip, so i push it backwards with my left foot while still in the car and my right foot on the brake and THEN it catches jsut enough for me to back out....but started to rev free again....put it in O-drive....nothing, tried Drive, 2nd, 1st...nothing. so i shut the car off and let it cool down for about 5 minutes, turn it on put it in drive and bam! we have grip!
so i 1/2 throttle it and go on my way when i got up to speed i just put it in neutral and coasted till i got to the neighborhood entrance and then pretty much feathered the throttle till i got to my house and pulled in.

And my car at idle is making a wonderfullly horrible noise...comming from...u guessed it...the transmission. This is the only automatic i've ever owned (and the last) so i'm not too keen on their inner workings and such.

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated...oh and places that might give me a good deal on a new tranny if anyone knows of any. lol

Thank you for your time,
Anthony
Old 06-24-2005, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Tranny was slipping. Sounds like it's on its way out the door. The reason why it managed to grab was because of the cool down. Have you checked the tranny fluid to see if it smells burnt and is a brownish color?
Old 06-25-2005, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

it's got a brownish color to it, i don't feel any gritty-ness to it though not sure if it would make a difference being that it's brown and all. And, considering all the noise it's making. i haven't started the car since then, i'm waiting till i get a good idea on what i'm up against before i commit.

I obivously need to brush up on my transmission know-how

What would normally cause it to slip like that? And/Or make the fluid brown?

Thanks again for your time,
Anthony
Old 06-25-2005, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Dude the fluid is brown?!! Tranny is gone. The fluid is supposed to be red/pink.
You need a new tranny/rebuild. Sucks.

As for the cause, excessive heat. Too much heat kills autos. Get a cooler for it when you get the new tranny/rebuild.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your tranny is . Sorry.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the Info guys. I feel kinda stupid but ehh...if u don't ask u won't know, right?

Which would be cheaper? Rebuild or a new tranny?

I'm pretty low on cash, this is just about the worst time this can happen.

BUT! thanks a lot guys, i appreciate the help!
Anthony
Old 06-26-2005, 12:34 AM
12 Second Club

Shop around, you may come into contact with a performance tranny that costs just a little bit more than the stock version. Gotta get what fits in the budget though. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for a new car.

When my tranny went out I found that a basic rebuild from a tranny shop to stock specs would be $1400-$1600. A NICE built tranny can be had for $2k, and lower levels of built trannies for $1600.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Time for a new car.

When my tranny went out I found that a basic rebuild from a tranny shop to stock specs would be $1400-$1600. A NICE built tranny can be had for $2k, and lower levels of built trannies for $1600.

damnit, guess i'll call around till i can find the lowest price. i may go for a junk yard replacement till i can afford a better one.

I'd get a new car but i'm still paying this one off....this is what happens when your parents "help" you buy a car...

thanks again guys,
Anthony