Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flutter? Moroso Spiral Flow/Flo Pro Twisters...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flutter? Moroso Spiral Flow/Flo Pro Twisters...

I've got Spiral Flows on my true duals and a few of the local guys were talking while we were working on my car. BAIN asked me how I liked the Spiral Flows and I commented on how I liked them at idle and WOT but at part throttle they seemed to have a funny sound, like a mix between slight resonance and the actual exhaust note. He asked me if they made a "fluttering" sound and that hit the nail on the head. He mentioned that a few TX guys were running them and they had the same thing. Just wondering if other guys with Spiral Flows or Twisters have this? Its not something thats going to have me run out and change mufflers right away, but maybe in the future when I get ready for the exhaust to sound a little different, Sweet Thunders might take their place to get rid of this flutter.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, i have the flutter too. the gear whine kinda drones it out though.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been doing a lot (too much) searching, reading and asking about mufflers for duals. Planning to swap my dynomax bullets out for something better. This is the first I've seen anything like this about the flo pros.

You say you like them at idle and WOT but somewhere in between it flutters, so you might go to sweet thunders? Dang.

I know I want sweet thunder sound but I don't want ANY restriction to power, I was hoping flow pros would be the ticket. I'm mostly looking for something that sounds great at part throttle, even my bullets are kick *** at idle and WOT.

I might have to break down and buy ST's and plan for cutouts to open header down the road.

BTW: Josh, I checked out your link to see if you had unlisted mods and I think your page needs to be updated.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Launching!

You may take a look at the 4" round body magnaflows. I have them and they are extremely deep from 1800 to 3000 and scream from there on. MeentSS02 has some sound clips on LS1sounds. Check them out. May be an alternative.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWillTA
You may take a look at the 4" round body magnaflows. I have them and they are extremely deep from 1800 to 3000 and scream from there on. MeentSS02 has some sound clips on LS1sounds. Check them out. May be an alternative.
Thanks, I'll look into those. Are they what people refer to as magnapacks, or is that something different?
Old 06-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Launching!

A magnapack is magnaflows version of a dynomax bullet or glasspack. Here is a link to a pic and info.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=498

They are also available in Stainless Steel.
Attached Thumbnails Flutter? Moroso Spiral Flow/Flo Pro Twisters...-mvc-040s.jpg  
Old 06-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Launching!

I just read your other thread blkz28. These mufflers are available in 3" straight thru.
Links to MeentSS02's clips.
http://www.ls1sounds.com/true_duals/...peedIncTDs.AVI
http://www.ls1sounds.com/true_duals/...ht-driveby.AVI
http://www.ls1sounds.com/true_duals/...ht-driveby.AVI
Old 06-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Yeah, my page needs updating bad.

I paid attention today and the flutter is from 3000+ under heavy part throttle. With an M6 this wouldn't be an issue but with my 4000 stalled A4 it is.

I dont want to lose a single bit of the sound at idle, WOT I dont care, but would like to improve part throttle. Love the sound at idle though, would hate to lose anything there. I favor a "chambered" sound though, and I dont think 2.5", especially that far back, is really a restriction that would even show up on the dyno (a few HP tops), so I'll probably get some Sweet Thunders at some point.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what you are hearing is rasp that is being covered up by a good quality muffler

im on my 4th exhaust now and the LS1 will rasp from 2500 - 3500 dpenending on the load on the engine and the exhaust type

Quick Reply: Flutter? Moroso Spiral Flow/Flo Pro Twisters...