Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter heat shield...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter heat shield...

I am preparing to install my QTP lt's (1 3/4 inch race style) and I am wondering what type of heat shield would be the best to protect my starter? Please be as specific as possible (type of part, and vendor that it was ordered from). Thanks for all the advice, I plan to order my parts (plugs, gaskets, stage 8 locking fastners and band clamps) on sat or sun, so please help! Would it be better to do this, or to wrap the headers? If wrapped would the header install be more difficult?

Thanks
Nathan
Old 06-26-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

no one?!?!
Old 06-26-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you will have a heat problem with the starter. The starters on our cars are tiny compared to the old small block starters, so they don't sit as close to the headers. One thing I had to do when I installed my Stainlessworks headers was wrap the wires running up the passenger side wheelwell with heat tape. I also rerouted the wires on the starter solenoid to give them more slack and out of the way. As far as gaskets, get some OEM's, they are hard to beat. Not sure what QTP sends with theirs, but most vendors send carboard junk.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked into wrapping my headers before the install and was advised that if the car is driven in the rain then you will have problems with the wrap. I had TPIS coated headers and replaced with Kooks Stainless. The coated headers were much cooler, I was suprised at the amount of heat that the coating kept in. If I was to do it again I would get the stainless coated. The problem with coating is that it doesn't stand up very well either at least on my TPIS.
As far as installing wrapped headers. My passenger side would have been easy but the drivers side would have been tough to do without ripping off the wrap getting it in.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info guys. I think i may get some of the header wrap anway, and just put it on the starter to protect it from the heat just in case. but, i wont know for sure if i will use it till i get under there and get the old manifolds off.

thanks..

Nathan
Old 06-26-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

go to www.summitracing.com and look under thermal protection. not big into thermodynamics, but i believe header wrap on the starter will just hold it in the stater, maybe even absorb some heat. summit sells reflective protection that stops radiated and convected heat up to like 1500 degrees or so. that will protect the starter. anyone more educated on this chime in.

Quick Reply: starter heat shield...