Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 Gurus... advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M6 Gurus... advice?

Ok here's the deal... first time out to the track a few weeks ago, my RAM Powergrip HD (billet steel flywheel, McLeod Adjustable Master) held like a champ, took 6500 clutch dumps on slicks all day long, plus powershifts and all that. The clutch I had before this one was McLeod single disk kevlar, and I smoked that one a few months ago.

I just went back to the track last night, and the damn thing felt like it started slipping on me... On a couple of my shifts, the RPMs started to hang a little bit, then my last pass of the night, I hammered it into 2nd (and no, I don't lift) and the rpms just hung and pegged the rev limiter. And then I tried to shift to 3rd... nothing. Wouldn't go into gear. Wouldn't go into 4th either... so I had to abort the run and just coast it to the end.

The thing is, once on the return road... everything seemed to be ok. Checked out the clutch fluid, it looked/smelled burnt to hell. So... I figure I'm going to need a new clutch.

Will an unsprung disk (like SPEC 5) be any better? Also, should I not be using a DOT 3 fluid, and step that up some? Will it even help this kind of situation? Also, my car is a full weight car... no weight reduction. Is that too much weight/mass for the dead hook launches I'm making on these types of clutches? Also, I'm only making around 390 rwhp, so my power level can't be what's messing these clutches up...
Old 06-25-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I would Stick with the ram and call them and see what they can do for you. Im just not pleased with all the bad reviews Spec is getting this year.