Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to get rid of Y-pipe banging

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to get rid of Y-pipe banging

now that i have my pacesetters and TSP catted Y-pipe i hear noise from under the car. I figure its the annoying and common "banging" that occurs after this kinda install. how the F u get rid of it????
Old 06-25-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cheap and easy method is hose clamp some heater hose where its hitting. doesnt stop it from hitting but makes it so you cant notice it

or

you can loosen ALL the clamps from the header to the muffler and make sure everything is nice and loose and free to move. wedge a 2x4 between the floorboard and the ypipe where it hits, and tighten up all the clamps
Old 06-25-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The right way to fix it would be to install poly motor mounts. They are cheap, but a sob to put on.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would assume poly motor mounts would increase noise pretty significantly. and if you didnt want to go that route i would agree with a simple soft spacer method that wouldnt fall out and will either prevent movement or soften the contact.

my .02
Old 06-26-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

take a crobar to it or heat the pipe up
Old 06-26-2005, 10:02 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I second the poly motor mount. Put on just the driver's side and you won't have any more vibration than before and all of your motion will be eliminated. I have my ypipe mounted with about 1/2" of clearance and have no issues at all with it hitting the floor boards. My motor now moves as little as it did the day it rolled off the showroom floor, and that's with having the TR224/224 112lsa cam.

Best mod for the money, just takes time and patience to do it.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

I bent a hangar 90 degrees and bolted it to my drivers side cross member, then welded the other side to my y pipe (drivers side) while having someone push the pipe down with a crow bar. Made a lot more noise for the first week with it on since now its connected to the floor pan. But after that it back to normal for the most part. I was told that after a couple weeks of driving I can take it off and the pipe should be set in place but I'm just gonna leave it on. Here are some pics so you can see what I'm talking about:

Old 06-26-2005, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
now that i have my pacesetters and TSP catted Y-pipe i hear noise from under the car. I figure its the annoying and common "banging" that occurs after this kinda install. how the F u get rid of it????

I had the same problem on an 02 T/A, it only happened under hard acceleration though. I just extended the bumpstop on the passenger rear and it stopped it, guess the body was flexing too much, i dont know.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

will the mufflex hanger work? i have the same problem but am just learning to deal with it untill i come around a solution
Old 06-26-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

heck i hear it at all speeds, even when cruising.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

You shouldn't hear it banging against the body of the car at all speeds if the Y-pipe is install properly. I'd get under the car and double check and locate exactly where it's making contact. Maybe loosen the exhaust and try twisting it around to see if it will seat better? My ORY bangs slightly against the body when it's under load going up an incline and that's it. As someone else mentioned.. by far the easiest fix would be to wedge heater hose between the body and the exhaust to dampen the noise.

BTW: I believe I met you in Burlington one Sunday night about a month ago? I remember you talking about wanting to get a set of LT's for your ride
Old 06-26-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SupahRich
You shouldn't hear it banging against the body of the car at all speeds if the Y-pipe is install properly. I'd get under the car and double check and locate exactly where it's making contact. Maybe loosen the exhaust and try twisting it around to see if it will seat better? My ORY bangs slightly against the body when it's under load going up an incline and that's it. As someone else mentioned.. by far the easiest fix would be to wedge heater hose between the body and the exhaust to dampen the noise.

BTW: I believe I met you in Burlington one Sunday night about a month ago? I remember you talking about wanting to get a set of LT's for your ride

whats up supahrich i remember u. u came to burlington at the Wings to Go about month ago. i had the white SS and asked u if i could hear ur headers. well as u can see i got my pacesetters and catted y installed. just got a couple of issues w/ mine. hit me back
Old 06-26-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd also have to recommend the poly motor mount. There is NO increase in noise/vibration, and the install really isn't as bad as many people would make it out to be. Driver side too me a little less than 4 hours, including setup and cleanup. I can't speak for the passenger side since I didn't change that one (driver side solved all of my problems.

Poly mount has been one of the most pleasing mods I've made to my car
Old 06-26-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

where or who could i get someone to insall them. the LT's kinda put a hurtin on the wallet so i need a good price on it.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Banned

Get the mufflex hanger dude. I don't have one but have heard it's great.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
where or who could i get someone to insall them. the LT's kinda put a hurtin on the wallet so i need a good price on it.
Hey bro, it's Justin.

Some friendly advice: Take it up to Craig Staple's shop(the one behind CAM) and see if he thinks he could just adjust your Y-pipe first. When I get my Pacesetters/TSP ORY, I'm just gonna install the headers and then drive open headers from Raleigh to Durham and get him to install the Y. Maybe he could fix it for a lot less money than getting motor mounts. Maybe not, but it's an idea.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:26 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys, I bought my energy suspension motor mount from Pepboys for something like $24... we're talking less than the cost of a tank of gas.

The reason the ypipe is banging is because your motor is torqueing too hard and the stock POS rubber mount can't hold it. Change the mount and be done with it.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:47 PM

Put it on a lift and re-adjust it.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by black00TA
i would assume poly motor mounts would increase noise pretty significantly

Well assume all ya want, but it's not bad at all. I have solid motor mounts and it is more pleasant than the stockers. I don't notice any more noise (i do have true duals though) and i really like the way the car drives now with them. Also you will be more consistant in your 60' times if you do race.

Nate
Old 06-26-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im interested in these motor mounts, how do u install them? this may be a stupid question, but i have ypipe banging and wanna fix it the right way, thanks!