Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Best type of oil filter wrench?

Old 06-25-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Best type of oil filter wrench?

For those of you that do oil changes on different cars.. you know the ones with the pain in the butt to get oil filters. What is the best type/s of oil filter wrench to have in your tool box?
Old 06-25-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are the ones I've used to varying effect.

The standard steel band wrench is the best since it swivels on two planes. I put black grippy tape (aka skateboard tape, non-slip tape) on the inside. Having that there works wonders! Sometimes I put grippy tape on the filter, but I always have it on the wrench.

I haven't had much luck with the black plastic cap style. I bought it, used it once, and threw it back in the tool box and got the steel band wrench out.

I have a strap wrench I use on the wife's car. She uses a BIG Amsoil filter and there are no other wrenches that will get it. Grippy tape is used on it, as well.

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 06-25-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
These are the ones I've used to varying effect.

The standard steel band wrench is the best since it swivels on two planes. I put black grippy tape (aka skateboard tape, non-slip tape) on the inside. Having that there works wonders! Sometimes I put grippy tape on the filter, but I always have it on the wrench.

I haven't had much luck with the black plastic cap style. I bought it, used it once, and threw it back in the tool box and got the steel band wrench out.

I have a strap wrench I use on the wife's car. She uses a BIG Amsoil filter and there are no other wrenches that will get it. Grippy tape is used on it, as well.

Since 1974 I've had two strap wrenches - one is adustable for size, both swivel. I put Koban on it for better grip (Equine stores carry it, so does hospital supply) which does the same job as 'grippy tape'. They will grab *any* filter.

Cheap but last longer than anything with plastic on it, I think just about any auto parts stores carry them.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

I have a claw type I bought off snap on and its the best I've used. it'll get off 99% of the filters out there with a couple exceptions but those are gotten easily with the strap wrench or another type.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your hands. If all else fails, I have an emergency filter remover in the form of a large screwdriver.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I agree with Compstall - up there

...oil filters are supposed to be put on by hand; they are NOT supposed to be cranked down like a bolt. Consequently, the best wrench is your hand.

Unfortunately, not all mechanics subscribe to this view and often you will find oil filters that are WAY ---- over tightened. When this happens, I use several size twelve sided wrench style wrenches. I prefer these since they are easier to get into tight places. If these fail, I use the wrap-around band type. These are good too but they cannot be used in many car applications.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Compstall
Your hands. If all else fails, I have an emergency filter remover in the form of a large screwdriver.
lol, I've done that as well when some idiot dealership didn't put the oil cap back on. ER side of the road so I wouldn't toast the engine made that filter impossible to get off covered with oil - I carry a screwdriver my Grandpa fabbed and it worked the first jab (it doubles as a weapon, Grandpa didn't mess around!). Once I got enough oil back in with a friggin cap I drove it to the dealership and it smelled like a skunk died in the engine bay - I made them clean it up!

No. I never went back to them again.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

I've worked at Wal-mart's tire Lube and Express for probably 1.5 years now, and have learned from working at a GM dealership (use AC delco filters), that the extra guard Fram filters are the way to go. They have the nice grip on them. I dont care for the orange color, but they are damn nice to remove when tools just dont fit. As for putting them on, anything more than a snug fit is too tight. As the other guys were saying above, you do not want to over-tighten the damn filters, you are looking for disaster when removal time comes. There is a better chance of the rubber O-ring staying on the car, and as most people may not catch this, leading to a "double gasket" and oil will leak alllllll over. If you dont like Fram filters, put something on the end of your favorite filter for better grip. Shy away from tightening with a tool.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

i use my filter wrench for removal only and tighten cars as tight as I can by hand and give trucks a small turn (1/8-1/4) with filter wrench as farmers around here think that these trucks are built to baja and you just can't get away without using the wrench with them. I've never had a come back on an oil change (not that I've done that many but being a tech I do have to do some from time to time).
Old 06-28-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RaRe99SS
I've worked at Wal-mart's tire Lube and Express for probably 1.5 years now, and have learned from working at a GM dealership (use AC delco filters), that the extra guard Fram filters are the way to go. They have the nice grip on them. I dont care for the orange color, but they are damn nice to remove when tools just dont fit. As for putting them on, anything more than a snug fit is too tight. As the other guys were saying above, you do not want to over-tighten the damn filters, you are looking for disaster when removal time comes. There is a better chance of the rubber O-ring staying on the car, and as most people may not catch this, leading to a "double gasket" and oil will leak alllllll over. If you dont like Fram filters, put something on the end of your favorite filter for better grip. Shy away from tightening with a tool.

While I agree that the rough finish on the Fram Extra-Guard filters is desireable, I also thing that's where any desireability for Fram filters stops. Their insides are the worst found. See this thread...Oil Filter Study

I have a roll of skateboard tape handy to put on oil filters for ease of installation and removal. It works great and you can use it on any filter of your choice. You can get it any any major hardware store. You can also put it on ladder steps, stepstool steps, or tool handles.

I have been guilty of overtightening my oil filters, but that was a long time ago when I was learning how to do it myself. Curiously, though I only had one filter I had to use the screwdriver trick on, I never had a gasket stick to the block.

I make a mark on my filter with a marker, pre-fill it with oil, and install it. When it stops spinning freely I note where the line is and then tighten 3/4 to 1 full turn, depending on how it feels. I'm sure 3/4 would be fine. But, since the lifeblood of the car is the oil I can never bring myself to give it a quick spin and hope for the best.

$.02
Old 06-28-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

I never use wrenches - I prefer a big MF hammer!
Old 06-28-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Of course I agree with all of you..using your hands to tighten up the oil filter. But like many of us know.. when your doing a oil change on a car that isn't yours, it never fails to have a oil filter stuck on there like there is no tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:54 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

The wrench I use depends on the filter...my 2 favs are this nice unit by Lisle:
another shot:

and good old school band wrenches when necessary. When I get to the point that I have to hammer a screwdriver through the body of the filter, or worse, take an air hammer to the base of the filter, then I usually go for a six pack first to get inspiration.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

That time I had to use the screwdriver was right before I was heading out on a four hour drive. Not a good time to be in a hurry.

I wound up tearing the oil filter up until there was nothing left but the base plate, and even then it refused to budge. I put the screwdriver into one of the little holes and gave it a whack. The damn thing spun off at a high rate of speed and conked me right between the eyes! I never put an oil filter on that hard again!!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Default Mr. Incredible

I clicked on the Right Wing Extremist link. Great site! I added it to my favorites and sent it to several friends. Thanks.
Teacher
Old 06-30-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i stab mine with a screwdriver an then turn it off with the screwdriver still in there
Old 06-30-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SchoolTeacher
I clicked on the Right Wing Extremist link. Great site! I added it to my favorites and sent it to several friends. Thanks.
Teacher
Thanks, Teacher. It's truly a sad day when the those great men are ignored and ridiculed by the dense-of-head. And the farther away we get from them the scareder I get!

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock."
Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-30-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Mr Incredible, I have been looking for that! thanks for the good info!
Old 07-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Launching!

i have a craftsman one, similar to the ones budhayes posted. They have 3 little arms that dig into the sides of the filter. The band ones on my car and my GF's Grand Am just crushed the filter. The claw ones took it right off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best type of oil filter wrench?