Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TA lower valance catastrophe!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TA lower valance catastrophe!

Guys, you wouldn't believe what happened to me!

I wetsanded, acetone washed, and scrubbed all the clear coat to a smooth finish. Then I primer'd and painted with a gloss black. I was so pissed, after all the coats and emptying the can, the paint still looked like a flat, grey Saturn bumper. Anyway, I started throwing on clearcoat. The black started coming out like crazy. I was so happy with how it looked! I did a couple of coats and started finishing up when the unbelieveable happened...

My in-laws' miniature dog from hell got loose outta the door and made a beeline for the area I was painting the car in around the garage. I screamed at the dog so it wouldn't come nearer, I was scared about the freshly applied clearcoat. Well, the dog freaked out and ran back, wagging its tail. In the process, it walked right by the car and the tail slapped the paint!

I ran to the car and tried to spread the smudge with some more clearcoat, but it's still a huge lumpy area about the size of a finger that even looks white because of the smudged and dried clearcoat crusting outward. I was freakin' done and now it's f*cked up! I have no idea what to do! I really do not want to do it all over agian, is there any fix I can still do to save it and have it still look nice? My hands are tied until you paint-badasses in this appearance section post something for me. I need help from you guys so badly! I will be greatly indebted to any help. I'm in shambles right now, can't even type. Thanks SO much in advance!
Old 06-25-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dude, that sucks . You'll have to post up some pics so that we can really see how bad it is, but from your description, you will probably have to do it over again (atleast part of it) if it is lumpy like you said. But then again, I'm no paint expert, so hopefully someone who does this stuff for a living or something will chime in with some help.

Tom
Old 06-25-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

as much as it sucks, your probably gonna have to sand it all down and start over. if you keep it messed up or give it a hasty fix, every time you walk by your car, your gonna notice....

good luck
Old 06-25-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Start over, ..., You did it once, you can do it again, ..., & you know how it's done now!
Old 06-26-2005, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gotta start over bro.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hate to say it but I agree with the rest. So tell me that story agian about how the dog got loose in the neighborhood and you called the dog pound to come pick it up(wink)?
Old 06-26-2005, 09:18 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off you need to shoot that ******* dog! Second...slap your in laws for letting that ******* dog out.

Try sanding the clear down and see if you can get away with just reclearing it.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

You might be able to let it all dry, then sand down that area a bit and try to re-clear it, but I'm betting it won't look very good.

You're probably going to have to start over. And as much of an animal person as I am, I'd still probably dropkick that dog.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Banned

Hey at least you have to do only one side. My recommendation would be to start over with your whole process again. That sucks.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stang killer
Hate to say it but I agree with the rest. So tell me that story agian about how the dog got loose in the neighborhood and you called the dog pound to come pick it up(wink)?
Dog pound, you say? I think you meant doggie heaven!

I would never harm an animal! Well...
Old 06-26-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

You guys are the best! I'm very pleased to read all your responses and I appreciate all the suggestions. I have a clear mind now, and the obvious thing to do was to do it over. Thing is, in a couple of weeks, I'm getting a turbo kit installed, FMIC, new valve springs, hardened pushrods, tune and dyno, new Powerslot rotors and brake system flush and fill, caliper painting, a thumbnail-sized dent on the driver's side door's bottom rear corner fixed (Long time ago. Damned gas station island was like 8 inches high ), and a replacement tint for one that went bad on the driver's door's window at a shop.

So... I sanded a hand-sized area of clear coat and re-cleared it with some coats. If you look one foot away from it, you can only see where the original crust was, a sliver, about half a millimeter wide and an inch and a half long, as a different depth of the clear. I'm surprised how good I was actually able to save it. But, it needs to be fixed. Well, it'll be good enough for a couple of weeks. Then, I'll just have the shop fix it for me or do it all over, a new task added to the already long (and $$$$ ) list of things to do there...Fuggit.

For now it looks kinda . I'm gonna hijack my own thread now...

I want it to look and feel like my car already, and I want to seal it with some wax. How long is it until the paint has cured enough to have wax applied? I have no clue and would appreciate one final help effort from you guys (Well, until my next emergency ). Also, can regular car wax be used to seal it? Thank you all in advance
Old 06-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Teching In

The frist thing u need 2 do is WAIT until the paint & clear cure, if u dont u will have a hell of a mess! For the dog well he didnt know what he was doing, or maybe he did??
when the paint cures wetsand the area down DO NOT get into the paint. clean area tape off around door or where u have breakes in fender,door. tape off every pannel around it. then just reshoot the clear on ( what kind of paint,clear,act, did u use.hope it was "dupont" ifu used 7600HC or 7900 u will have no problems OR u could wetsand and buff. IF u have any problems this way BRING the car 2 me and i will FIX IT at no cost 2 you. and u can watch and learn so if u ever have or friends uave this problem in the time to come, u will know what 2 do. Getting mad at the dog will not help,I know Ihave been mad at a lot of things. but it does not help!. Just take a deep breath and take care of the car. U CAN DO IT MAN
Old 06-27-2005, 08:05 AM
Teching In

pENDING ON THE PAINT USED. I WOULD SAY GO AHEAD WAX IT
WAX ON
WAX OFF DO NOT WACK OFF UNTIL STEP 1 IS COMPLETE!!
MAKE ER' SHINE
Old 06-27-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Damn! Tough luck man! sorry to hear
Old 06-27-2005, 12:55 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Dog pound, you say? I think you meant doggie heaven!

I would never harm an animal! Well...

It's lucky its a dog and not a cat.

Quick Reply: TA lower valance catastrophe!