Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Is there any difference between the racetronix pump and a plain walbro 255?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there any difference between the racetronix pump and a plain walbro 255?

Is there any difference between the walbro that comes with the racetronix kit and the regular walbro 255? I can get a walbro 255 for $100 and the racetronix wiring harness is $100 why couldn't I just do that and save 50 bucks? Any cons to this idea, or will it not work all together?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the racetronix kit is teh best best IMO, you can replace it without cutting anything up in your tank and its made to use the stock venturi system. i wouldnt do anything but the racetronix kit if i were you. ive got one in mine
Old 06-27-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

i just finished installing my walbro 255 this weekend. sooooo easy to do. I'm glad I saved myself the $100+
Old 07-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Walbro was a easy install
Old 07-09-2005, 10:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BAT TA
Is there any difference between the walbro that comes with the racetronix kit and the regular walbro 255? I can get a walbro 255 for $100 and the racetronix wiring harness is $100 why couldn't I just do that and save 50 bucks? Any cons to this idea, or will it not work all together?
Web ad:

The 1999 & up LS1 F-body cars have a pump that is inside a plastic fill-bucket. The fill-bucket is equipped with two inlets on the bottom. The equalization checkvalve is used to fill the bucket when the level of fuel in the tank is greater than in the bucket. The equalization checkvalve does not allow fuel to exit the bucket. The venturi system's inlet is a combination checkvalve and powered suction system. The factory pump supplies pressurized fuel via a small tube which feeds a calibrated jet inside the venturi system. This jet of fuel shoots across the base of the checkvalve inlet thereby creating a suction effect which draws more fuel from the bottom of the tank through the filter sock. This venturi system keeps the bucket full all the time even when the fuel tank is almost empty. A full bucket keeps the pump immersed in fuel regardless of the tank level so that when the tank is low on gas and you are doing some hard cornering or acceleration the pump does not run dry and start aerating (air bubbles) the fuel. This happens as the fuel sloshes from side to side in the tank leaving the center low on fuel. This can cause detonation and possible engine damage. The 99+ F-LS1 cars with plastic tanks have no baffling in them so the bucket is very important. The bucket also allows the car to operate with lower fuel levels in the tank due to its scavenging effect. The fill-bucket improves motor crank-to-run time as the priming time is reduced under most conditions. The return line feeds the pressure regulator on the fuel module which diverts fuel back into the bucket so that the unused fuel also helps keep it full at all times. Keeping the pump constantly immersed in gas within the bucket can extend the pump's life by not allowing it to be exposed to open air. Open air within the tank contains moisture and in time will cause the pump to rust / seize up especially if left to sit for long periods of time without the tank topped-up (i.e. winter storage).

The Racetronix pump assembly is designed to fit in the factory pump location. The Racetronix pump is equipped with a factory type fuel tube not a rubber hose. This fuel tube is important as when the fuel module is placed back in the tank it must bend sharply which can cause standard rubber hose to kink. This fuel tube is much more resistant to the solvents in today’s gas and it will not crack, split, swell and collapse like a rubber hose. This is why G.M. uses them as OE equipment.

The Racetronix pump assembly is equipped with an outlet which supplies the factory venturi system which is required to keep the factory system functional! All other pump solutions to date do not have this feature which requires a hole be punched in the bottom of the fill-bucket thereby dangerously disabling its functionality. The Racetronix fuel module is equipped with a one-piece soldered wiring harness made from mil spec. Teflon silver-plated wire. This is the same type of wire used at the factory as Teflon is the most resistant to deterioration when exposed to gas. This harness has a Walbro connector at one end and a GM F-LS1 connector at the other which plugs directly inside the factory connector. No crimping, splicing or wiring adapters are required. A truly plug & play wiring solution. Due to the age of some F-LS1 cars much of the in-tank connectors are black / corroded. The Racetronix harness replaces all these questionable components.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Coal Mining Director

Hard to beat a specific set-up like Racetronic.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

I just installed my walbro gs340 yesterday, used the existing factory bucket. Purchased a hot wire kit from casper electronics for $90. Spent $190 instead of $250 like racetronix.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by CamdLs1
I just installed my walbro gs340 yesterday, used the existing factory bucket. Purchased a hot wire kit from casper electronics for $90. Spent $190 instead of $250 like racetronix.
Yes and your bucket is now nothing but an inoperable shell of plastic. No venturi system anymore and no going back.

This is an old debate on this forum. There will always be those people who place the dollar ahead of making the best technical choice. If saving a few $ on a lesser system makes you feel more comfortable than maintaining all the functionality and safety offered by the factory system then buy a generic pump and carve up your bucket. From a technical standpoint there is no debate here.

The Casper's harness is not constructed the same and does not have some of the features that the Racetronix harness has.

At $249.99 the Racetronix system is excellent value for the money. If it wasn't there would not be 1000's of people on this and other forums singing its praises.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-10-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Racetronix was a cake to install. The harness gives the pump constant voltage so the pressure doesn't fluctuate so much. And you can plug in a boost-a-pump later on.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
And you can plug in a boost-a-pump later on.
Just one of the many features incorporated into the Racetronix harness that is not in others.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-10-2005, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

what sponsor sell this kit, and how much power will it support? also, what happened to the twin 255lph that TNT used to sell?
Old 07-10-2005, 03:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
what sponsor sell this kit, and how much power will it support? also, what happened to the twin 255lph that TNT used to sell?
Depending on your motor's BSFC and fuel pressure HP support is typically around 550RWHP with this system. If you add a BAP as a PNP option to the harness the HP support can be extended as high as 700RWHP. Again this HP number will vary depending on the application. Having a FM FPR also helps considerably.

There are a few sponsors of this site who are Racetronix dealers listed on our web page. Some dealers not listed on our web page source product from Thunder Racing who is a WD.

The DP that TNT had was made by Racetronix and sold through Agostino to TNT. We still make DP's when we have time between regular production runs but they are not something that we have sitting on the shelf.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-10-2005, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Racetronix
Yes and your bucket is now nothing but an inoperable shell of plastic. No venturi system anymore and no going back.
How so? I didn't cut the bucket at all, the only thing I had to cut was the bottom of the rubber peice that the pump itself sits in. Used the factory hoses and yes, there is a harness for an inline boost-a-pump on the casper kit. But I'm sure you know more about this than I do so can you please explain why this wouldn't keep the factory system.

Last edited by CamdLs1; 07-10-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by CamdLs1
How so? I didn't cut the bucket at all, the only thing I had to cut was the bottom of the rubber peice that the pump itself sits in. Used the factory hoses and yes, there is a harness for an inline boost-a-pump on the casper kit. But I'm sure you know more about this than I do so can you please explain why this wouldn't keep the factory system.
There is no venturi feed with your pump so the venturi system inside your bucket is not functional thereby not allowing much fuel into the bucket. The single equalizing checkvalve does not have enough flow to sustain the pump's requirements under WOT. In other words if you stand on the throttle for a good period of time you will empty the bucket, run the pump dry and push air into your fuel lines. The more fuel you use (more HP) and the lower the level of fuel in your tank the faster this will happen. For this reason people who do not use the Racetronix system must cut a hole in the bottom of the bucket to ensure enough flow into the bucket OR so that the pump's inlet and filter sock can protrude and sit at the bottom of the tank.

Please show us where your harness has a booster interface connection and connector set.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-10-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the Casper harness, their interface is for use with the in-line pumps such as the Vortech T-Rex unit, not the Boost-a-pump. I emailed the just to check not too long ago.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Launching!

How much HP will the stock rails do? Since you say the racetronix witha BAP can handle 700RWHP

Kane
Old 07-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Coal Mining Director

LPE has had the stock rails to 800rwhp.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bought mine my Racetronix pump and harness from Thunder Racing. Great service and fast shipping.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Launching!

I have a 370 iron with an STS turbo. I am hoping to be pushing around 650rwhp. I currently just have a walbro and am not using the plastic bucket. If I purchase a new plastic bucket, the racetronix kit and the BAP will that be sufficent with the stock lines, rails, fuel pressure gauge and 57lb injectors?

Kane
Old 07-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Were can you purchase the boost a pump that goes with the racetronix kit?

Kane

Quick Reply: Is there any difference between the racetronix pump and a plain walbro 255?