Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

c5 stays together.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c5 stays together.....

and i didn't ......so i'm on my way to work and lately at my exit there's been a black vette that's driving like he's got the fastest thing on 4 wheels and everyone better get out of his way.....today he cuts me off.....i get on his *** to let him know i'm not very happy about getting cut off, and also that i think he's not as fast as he thinks he is .....so i fly by to the outside and wait for him to catch up, he's stuck in traffic and i kinda jumped too soon as it cleared up, so i slowed down, ...of course as soon as i did that he flew by, i hit the gas again but he had way too much momentum(that's the only part a guy i work with saw, so of course he gave me crap about how i shouldn't mess with vettes blah blah blah)...as luck would have it(bad luck, as it turns out), the light i usually turn at was red, and he was stopped there waiting for me, so of course i can't turn.......i look at him, he looks over, we wait for the light, it turns and we go......i babied it a bit off the line, but once i hit wot i got a chirp and then it hooked(brand new nitto drs)....his nose was at my door through second(i have an a4) before he stared pulling even going by me and then i had to stop for a car in my lane.......as i slow down i hear horrendous noise from below

while we're at another light he's asking me what i've done to the car, and i answer "stall converter, exhaust, an i'm pretty sure i just broke it" i think he thought i was making an excuse and he just said "man, she goes", pointing to his vette.......i was to busy trying to decide if my car was gonna blow up to ask him what he had done to his ride.....another guy at work asked me how the race went, so i had assumed he saw it.......later i found out he was at the plant walking in when he heard the exhaust noise, and he assumed it was me

so i got out of work early to limp the car home, pry shoulda had it towed but i didn't.......it's a clicking noise that gets louder and softer with the rpms, i started losing oil pressure as i got closer to home, stalled a few times, but i made it......i'm guessing it's the tc, a cracked flexplate, or both now.......if i have to change the converter i think i'm just gonna replace everything(tranny, fp, and tc)....

that vette was pretty quick, but i guess i can't really gauge how fast since i don't know what percent i was running him at......
Old 06-27-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i emailed keven at tci about my problems, asking about converter rebuilds and their transmission packages, and he responded very quickly....he also mentioned that my symptoms sounded like a spun bearing.......so i looked over at the internal engine forum(a place i don't often venture) and now i have a whole 'nother possibilty to consider....great.......no wonder that vette seemed so fast
Old 06-27-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it does sound like a spun bearing. good luck with having it taken care of.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks
Old 06-27-2005, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

You should not have played with the vette. lol I'm just playing sorry for your car.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I don't know whats worse, breaking your car street racing, or at the track where every-body sees you.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z34_nut
Well, I don't know whats worse, breaking your car street racing, or at the track where every-body sees you.
no kidding! it was 4am, but a few people on the way to work saw the first part.......they figured i just got my *** handed to me ....then it sounds even worse when i tell them we ended up going from a dig "and i had him.....until i broke" riiiiight.........the car sounded like an automatic weapon was going off under the hood as i pulled into the parking lot, but working in detroit that's not such a big deal......