Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Guys with Halo lights in here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys with Halo lights in here.

Hey guys I just got my black halo lights today and was wondering.... did you guys hook up the halos itself? If so, how exactly did you hook them up. I don't see myself splicing into the parking lights.

thanks
Old 06-27-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

The way I did it was VERY easy, and in my opinion the best looking. I picked up an extra fog light switch and a dummy plate from another ls1tech user. I popped out the CAMARO logo that sits next to the original fog switch and the asr switch. This reveals two extra slots, so I popped the extra fog switch and blank panel in.

Here's a picture of the switch panel..sorry for the blurriness:

Went to the local GM junkyard, and grabbed up a fog light switch wiring harness. I simply used wire-taps to tap into all of the existing wires to the original fog light switch, EXCEPT the YELLOW wire. This is the HOT output. So I ran the two Halo wire REDs together into one and ran it up to the YELLOW wire. This means that I have to have the headlight switch on in order to have the Halos on, but this was SOOOO easy to do. It's also easy to simply run a switched +12v wire to the BROWN wire, this will allow you to turn the halos on at ANY time, rather than only when the headlight switch is on.

Fog Light wiring harness:

A - Light Green - ground for the ON indicator lamp
B - Black - ground for the switch illumination
C - Gray - power from the headlights for switch illumination
D - not used
E - Brown - power input for the fog lights (connect this to switched +12v)
F - Yellow - power output for the fog lights (connect this to red Halo wire)

Make sense? See my other post here with more info and pictures...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/295764-halo-s-installed-pic.html
Old 06-27-2005, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

thanks.... ok is it just me or do things just not fit like they're supposed to?? The drivers side light got a gap on the bottom inside (toward the middle). The passenger side got a gap all along the bottom and the rubber kinda sticks out on the edge (fender side). I tried wiggling it and actually cracked off one of the clips that hold the light on. whatever.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:35 AM
Launching!

I just installed my black halos today. They are a pain in the neck to adjust. I have a small gap as well around the bottom. I can get rid of that gap by adjusting the headlights to aim down lower on the road. But then I cant see well. I aimed them the best I could for minimum gap. It looks great, you couldnt see the gap unless your staring at the newly installed Halos looking for a gap!
As far as wiring I wired mine into the parking lights. Honestly I think they look best with the parking lights on so I did it like that. ((the above install looks real nice however)). Im alittle different I didnt buy halos for the halo at all. I bought them for the nice looks, and clear lenses. My old lenses were pitted bad. The halo is just icing on the cake. They do look mean!!
Old 06-28-2005, 12:40 AM
12 Second Club

me too. to be honest, I didnt even know those halos lit up until i saw the directions today lol.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:45 AM
Staging Lane

I jus use the fog light switch to control the halo rings and turned off the fog's, i hate those fogs!
Old 06-28-2005, 02:10 AM
12 Second Club

What a friggin nightmare. Just one of those things. I went to put on the halos and the fit isn't exactly perfect. While adjusting them I broke off one of the clips. So I get this idea.. hey, I'll just remove the bracket from the old light and put it on the new one. Good idea. So I do that. while putting the light back on with the new bracket, I screw in the 10mm bolt without problem, then all of a sudden the screw starts spinning. Its not stripped but the nut built into the bracket is now freefloating. I get remove it or tighten it. So I manage to loosen the light adjusters and hacksaw the bolt off. I then had to find a nut and bolt combo to fit. All the ones I found was either too long (hit the light) or too small. So more crap riggin to do. Cut the bolt down to size. Finally get the lights on. Never had so much issues changing a light before. Sorry guys just had to vent. 2 hours for a light swap. RIDICULOUS!!

Anywayzzzzzzzz lol. Whang. Where did you get that grill from???
Old 06-28-2005, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

mine passenger doesnt fit but i was told you need to get a stock bracket off of the original headlights and swap them with the halos, i have yet to do this, lol.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

in my other thread that I linked above for you, I had a couple of hints. Swapping the brackets was one of them! I don't have any gaps at all in mine, oh, and it also took me 2 hours total for my install too (i took my gracious time...)
Old 06-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

I had some problems with mine as well. I tried the stock bracket but it still looked like crap. I just used some small shim washer to space the light bracket out from where it mounts to the car. It worked OK but Im still not happy with how the fit. Some day when I have nothing better to do ill start over....I wired mine to the driving lights...but I like how 98ZEE28 did it with its own switch...very cool.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine are just spliced into the foglight wires and only work when I turn the fog light on. I hardly ever use mine anyway, just bought them for the look, my originalls were wayyyy beyond repair and had to do something.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

okay. I feel better now knowing they all have fitting issues. I changed to the stock bracket and its no different. SO THATS OUT. Hey Cthomas, when you say spliced into the foglights.....how did you go about doing it? Did you actually cut them??

thanks
Old 06-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

fitting was a horible issue for me, it took me almost two weeks of adjusting and playing with theselights in order for me to get them where I wanted them to be, but its time well spent!!! I hate the fogs again, and its cool, and you may want to turn off the DRL so that you can control the halos at dusk so you can break some necks in traffic!!! Oh, and the grill like many other parts from my car came from the greatest place on earth, eBay!!!

Old 06-28-2005, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

I wired mine to the DRLs. They are on in the daytime, and at night they only come on with the turn signals. Kind of cool. The fitment problem was expected but i didnt break anything.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Wiring them to the DRLs sounds like a good idea. Will do that when I get my set.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Teching In

if you wanted halos why didnt you buy a beemer..
Old 06-28-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blackSSripper
if you wanted halos why didnt you buy a beemer..
cause those would have been $50,000 headlights!

But for real, seems like the majority of people are buying them to replace their old faded lights. For the price, you can't go wrong! That's why I installed mine. Simple math equation:

1 new GM Headlight = $150
2 new Halo Headlights = $165

Made perfect sense to me...

[edit] oh, and can a mod edit LS-****'s post above to bump that second picture to the next line, tired of scrolling two screens to the right! [/edit]

Last edited by 98ZEE28; 06-28-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

halo crew sign in..and mine fit pretty well
Old 06-28-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

I will buy one after few months
Old 06-28-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

here's mine at dusk...