Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

1" rear bar and t/a cover issues??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1" rear bar and t/a cover issues??

Just had my rear gone through and had the dealer install the t/a cover. As soon as I got home from picking it up I jacked it up in the air and checked it out. Man, the tiny stock bar is close to the webbing of the cover.

I have a Suspension Techniques 1" bar to install and am wondering if I'll run across fitment issues?

Anybody have a 1" bar and the t/a aluminum cover?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1" bar and a T/A cover on my 12 bolt, and it fits fine... don't see why the 10 bolt would fit worse considering its smaller.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:08 AM
10 Second Club

I had the ST 1" bar on my 10 bolt with a TA cover, and it fit fine. And now it's on my 9".....
Old 06-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

All righty then, guess I'll throw that baby on while I have the car up in the air to change the diff fluid this weekend.

Marky Marrk, still have that front bar?? Still wanna get rid of it?

Jason, I got the oil last night, I'll shoot you a check in the mail, unless you're gonna make hooties this friday, then I'll give ya cashola.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rokko

Jason, I got the oil last night, I'll shoot you a check in the mail, unless you're gonna make hooties this friday, then I'll give ya cashola.
I most likely won't be able to make it, as I won't have my car... Is my billing address on the shipping manifest? If not, let me know and I'll PM it to ya.

Friday will be right about the time the transmission is out of the car, with the clutch sitting on the table to see if I need to spend yet another $500 on a dumbass clutch.

I tell ya, for the money I've spent on clutches I could have done a 4L60E transplant with a nice converter and been done with it.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

The front bar is sitting in the garage with your name on it. Should I bring it Friday, or do you want / need it sooner?

And I feel your pain Jason. I used to have to rebuild my rear end in my 61 Chevy about once a month. Damn big blocks!!!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Rokko,

I put on a Summit Racing T/A Girdle on my car (10 bolt) and then installed the same ST 25mm rear bar (and the ST 35mm front) and there were ZERO problems with fitiment/clearance. Although I must say that the car didn't handle at all like I thought it would...that bar was just WAY too big. I put my tiny stocker rear bar back on and the car is much smoother and quicker thru the curves..........although I am only running crappy SLP Eibachs/SLP Bilsteins for my spring/shock combo, so that may be a huge limiting factor in the cornering dept.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
I most likely won't be able to make it, as I won't have my car... Is my billing address on the shipping manifest? If not, let me know and I'll PM it to ya.

Friday will be right about the time the transmission is out of the car, with the clutch sitting on the table to see if I need to spend yet another $500 on a dumbass clutch.

I tell ya, for the money I've spent on clutches I could have done a 4L60E transplant with a nice converter and been done with it.
PM it to me, that takes all the guesswork out of it. Hell, you could have a built 4l80e by now.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
The front bar is sitting in the garage with your name on it. Should I bring it Friday, or do you want / need it sooner?

And I feel your pain Jason. I used to have to rebuild my rear end in my 61 Chevy about once a month. Damn big blocks!!!
Friday will be fine. Am I bringing the TB still?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Rokko,

I put on a Summit Racing T/A Girdle on my car (10 bolt) and then installed the same ST 25mm rear bar (and the ST 35mm front) and there were ZERO problems with fitiment/clearance. Although I must say that the car didn't handle at all like I thought it would...that bar was just WAY too big. I put my tiny stocker rear bar back on and the car is much smoother and quicker thru the curves..........although I am only running crappy SLP Eibachs/SLP Bilsteins for my spring/shock combo, so that may be a huge limiting factor in the cornering dept.
Was it too tight in the corners? I figure I'll give both the larger ones a shot and see how I like it. If not I'll take em back off.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Was it too tight in the corners? I figure I'll give both the larger ones a shot and see how I like it. If not I'll take em back off.
It was really "jumpy" and didn't take the corners smooth like I had hoped.......it also wouldn't dive into a corner, I kinda had to fight it to get into a turn semi-aggressively. With the stock rear bar back on, she cruises into the curves much easier.......although I have heard that had I gone with the Strano HOLLOW 35mm, I would have even better results.......

I am contemplating better shocks eventually, but until I get my exhaust situation fixed, I CANNOT go any lower then 1" drop I have now.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Tech Addict

I can tell a huge difference in the way my car decellerates on the freeway. Not even close to the drag there once was. It just keeps going when I let off the gas until the injectors shut down. I think the old rear was dragging one heck of a lot cuz it slowed down much quicker before I had the rear gone through. Easier to keep speed now too with less pedal than before. I'll expect my mileage to go up too.

Hmm, maybe there is a 12 in this thing before cam and headers......
Old 06-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

It was really "jumpy" and didn't take the corners smooth like I had hoped.......it also wouldn't dive into a corner, I kinda had to fight it to get into a turn semi-aggressively. With the stock rear bar back on, she cruises into the curves much easier.......although I have heard that had I gone with the Strano HOLLOW 35mm, I would have even better results.......

I am contemplating better shocks eventually, but until I get my exhaust situation fixed, I CANNOT go any lower then 1" drop I have now.
Im still stock suspension, cept for a ph bar and lca's.

Are you still running the 35" front bar?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

The car will be more tail happy and oversteer will increase with a large rear sway bar like that... it'll feel like the rear end stays level in a corner, while the front end wants to dive to the outside wheel. So it feels almost like the rear end wants to push past the front.

The best way to compensate for that seems to be with wider rear tires... the bigger rear sway bar works really well with a 295 or 315 size tire. Also, make sure to get a nice big 35mm front sway to help counter the oversteer from the larger rear bar.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Im still stock suspension, cept for a ph bar and lca's.

Are you still running the 35" front bar?
Still running the ST 35 front, the SLP Eibachs/SLP Bilsteins, Guldstrand adjustable PHB, stock LCAs, (I know I know) Hotchkiss STB and SLP bolt in SFCs.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

According to some guys that run the bigger rear tires & big sway bars all around, the combo is fine. Boyce & Bill say the small rear one is the way to go, but they don't drag race at all. I REALLY like how mine feels in the turns now with the big one up front. I like driving the car a little with the rear tires. It's what I'm used to. And the improved launch is worth the trade off. (to me)
Old 06-28-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
The car will be more tail happy and oversteer will increase with a large rear sway bar like that... it'll feel like the rear end stays level in a corner, while the front end wants to dive to the outside wheel. So it feels almost like the rear end wants to push past the front.

The best way to compensate for that seems to be with wider rear tires... the bigger rear sway bar works really well with a 295 or 315 size tire. Also, make sure to get a nice big 35mm front sway to help counter the oversteer from the larger rear bar.
I already had 17x11" rims with 315/35/17 tires on the car when I put the 25mm rear bar on.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

According to some guys that run the bigger rear tires & big sway bars all around, the combo is fine. Boyce & Bill say the small rear one is the way to go, but they don't drag race at all. I REALLY like how mine feels in the turns now with the big one up front. I like driving the car a little with the rear tires. It's what I'm used to. And the improved launch is worth the trade off. (to me)
I had heard that as well, but I went cheapo in the shocks/springs dept cuz I didn't wanna get that kidney jarring ride.......perhaps when she isn't my daily driver any more I won't mind as much........but for now, swapping back to the stock (smaller) rear bar made a huge difference to me.

I also probably need some LCA relo brackets too.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

And the improved launch is worth the trade off. (to me)
I agree with that... since I put the bigger rear sway bar on, I've noticed two things at the drag strip. One, it actually launches straighter. It used to drift to one side at launch, now it goes right where I point it. Also, on the last half of the track, the car used to feel really light in the rear and drift around. Not so much anymore... with the bigger rear sway, it stays pretty damn level and doesn't feel floaty near the traps.

Well worth it if most of your competitive driving is at the drag strip...
Old 06-28-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

I had heard that as well, but I went cheapo in the shocks/springs dept cuz I didn't wanna get that kidney jarring ride.......perhaps when she isn't my daily driver any more I won't mind as much........but for now, swapping back to the stock (smaller) rear bar made a huge difference to me.
Mine has SLP Bilstein/Eibachs... I also have the SLP 32mm front sway, so the front is not matched well with the bigger rear, and I still held a corner just fine against a 911 Carrera last weekend.

Granted, it does feel like the rear end wants to drift out more, but that's easily compensated for with a decently grippy tire.