Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Major leak from rear of tranny, bushing AND seal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major leak from rear of tranny, bushing AND seal?

The leak started while it was on the dyno.. I noticed as the operator got on the gas, tranny fluid would progressively leak faster. I decided to limp it home and was successful. I lost about 1.5 quarts on the trip home, but it was shifting remained fine, so I chose to continue.

After lifting the car, I see that my I pipe, which was recently welded on, was sitting right on the driveshaft, and was actually putting enough pressure on it to where I couldnt move the I pipe off of it. I cleaned everything up, and saw it was definately coming out of the rear tranny seal, not the rubber boot, but the metal part of the seal itself. It would drip as it sat there not in operation. My question is, if the driveshaft was being forced down on a bad angle, would it definately take out the bushing AND the seal? I ordered a new seal and will replace that, however how am I to know if the bushing is bad? Will it be visually noticable? Can I get a bushing part number ?
Is it possible with the tranny in the car, if so please make suggestions. Thanks

John
Old 07-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Ttt...
Old 07-01-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is the seal on the output shaft you can leave the tranny in there.
just take out the drive shaft and pull the seal, then pop your new seal in there, pretty easy. i used an aftermarket seal so i put a little silicon on the edges where it fits against the tranny.

not sure on the bushing , id just try doing the seal first casue its an easy fix.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Replaced the seal today, same leak is present. I looked at it while the seal was out and it looked like there was some fluid seeping out the bottom of the little metal sleeve that surround the output shaft. However, there was no play in the shaft itself. I thought that if the bushing went bad the shaft would have more play.....

Old 07-02-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

there is no bushing.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/342632-play-t56-rear-bushing.html
read what is discussed in this post
Old 07-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Well then what is that cylinder shaped metal sleeve that surrounds the output shaft?
And it is leaking from that area, so what else could it be?
Old 07-02-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

thats all part of the seal. did it get cocked or something? regardless, any parts store should have the seal and the tools to rent to remove it and replace it. dont run it low on fluid though because the synchros are like wet clutchs. they could burn if ran dry for too long.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

I have the same problem, there is a metal bushing behind the rubber seal, D&D says the only way to replace it is with the tranny out...Anyone else have this problem?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a bushing behind the seal. It is about 3-4" long. You should be able to just remove the extension housing and press the old bushing out. Don't know if this would be possible to do with the tranny in the car. There is not much room in an F-body around the tranny to work. I have only done it with the tranny out of the car.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes there is a bushing and the trans must come out to remove the rear extension and change the bushing.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Teching In

just called the transmission shop, they said they have always replaced the bushing with the transmission in the car, just remove the housing and they are able to do it. Guess Ill find out lol
Old 07-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Teching In

When my transmission mount tore during a 3-4 powershift the bushing spit out onto the driveshaft and tore the rear seal. I was able to replace that bushing by removing the tailshaft housing, but the bushings available at local auto parts stores didnt fit onto the driveshaft and had to be modified to fit properly. I did this but using a very mild sand paper to bore out the bushing some so the drive shaft wouldnt bind up... Hope this helps
Old 07-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Teching In

K thanks, just talked to the transmission shop again. They now say that they thought i was referring to a 4l60e, not a T56. They say they can do it with the tranny in the car on an auto, but not on the 6 speed.... imagine that, that is what I told them to begin with lol.

Oh yeah and the price to drop a transmission is $350. Hmmm it takes me 45 min on the dot to do it, anyone got an hourly rate on that? Absolutely INSANE!

Quick Reply: Major leak from rear of tranny, bushing AND seal?