PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy HP Tuners or Pay to have it done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy HP Tuners or Pay to have it done?

I don't know anything about tuning...period, and I am looking into putting a 370ci with headers/heads/cam in the next month should I buy HP Tuners or just pay to have it all done? Could I get enough info off of here to do it myself? to buy HP Tiners is about the same price as having it dyno tuned is why I'm asking.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy it. I didn't know **** about tuning when I started either. I got my start right here in this forum. You will learn a TON about your car, and you will be able to make small tweaks down the road for no cost. If you get good enough at it, you can take on tuning others cars for a small fee. The possibilities are endless.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Buy it. I didn't know **** about tuning when I started either. I got my start right here in this forum. You will learn a TON about your car, and you will be able to make small tweaks down the road for no cost. If you get good enough at it, you can take on tuning others cars for a small fee. The possibilities are endless.
Im goign to look into it, what was it $499 or something I think...for everything needed...I don't know what all I'll need either.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by byrontaylor
Im goign to look into it, what was it $499 or something I think...for everything needed...I don't know what all I'll need either.

Keep an eye out on this board...there's always tuning software for sale. I picked up HP Tuners for my '98 for $320 and that included everything I needed (already had a laptop). Definitely buy it and do it yourself. I didn't know squat when I started and I've learned everything I've done from this board. You won't regret it.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Well, $499 will get you started, but you'll probably want to tune with a wideband too. At least I sure did. It is another $150 for the enhanced input/output (EIO) and you can get an LC-1 wideband for ~$200.

It ain't cheap, but it'll give you all the tools you need to effectively tune your car.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definetly best to do it yourself IMHO... that is if you're willing to spend the time to read... and just as you get frustrated... read more

THe more you learn about it... the nicer it becomes to be able to make changes when you want... exactly how you want
Old 06-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Or you can get frustrated, go your own direction, and stumble upon the greatest discovery to tuning LS1s ever...

I'd share it with everyone, but nahhhhhhh
Old 06-28-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

buy it, learn it, skip their bad tunes, it will be cheaper for you in the end. i'd rather spend 250bux i blew on the first mail tune on something useful, like a wideband
Old 06-28-2005, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

definately get the enhanced IO even if you don't spend the money to get the wideband right now. I am ordered hptuners about a month ago and have been kicking myself in the ***. I now have to send it back to them and pay the 150 to get the enhanced IO so I can use wideband.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks alot for the info/input...can/will ppl on here help with my setup once I get the HPTuners? It seems like it won't be a problem but I haven't ever messed with it before.

If you guys hear of one for a 2000 and a 2002 let me know...and what exactly is an IO??? It will be about a month or two before I can get it all tuned and whatnot but it will be worth it (I'm assuming) in the long run.

These things are only good for 2 year models right?

Also when buying a used one is there anything I should watch out for? Sorry if it seems stupid but I REALLY don't know.

thanks alot and keep em coming
Old 06-28-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also MEENT my girlfriend and I will be coming your way in August...the 13th or so...can you do 2000 year models? If so can you help me out for a little $$ and get this thing tuned when the new motor gets in it and all?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I actually only have licenses for 2002-2001 models...I don't know if anyone else local has some other licenses.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
buy it, learn it, skip their bad tunes, it will be cheaper for you in the end. i'd rather spend 250bux i blew on the first mail tune on something useful, like a wideband

Yup! I didn't know a thing about tuning when I started. Keep active in this section and you'll learn quick, read up before making newbie mistakes.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

EFILIVE has free upgrades that make it WAAAAAYYY cheaper for tuning any F.I. cars. Just something to think about! It also loads faster!
Old 06-28-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

EFI Live? Whats the difference between HPTuners, LS1Edit, and EFI Live? Which is better? Which is better bang for the buck?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

They all do PCM tuning, EFI Live and HP Tuners both include scanning as well.

The only posts nitrorocket has in this forum are anti HP Tuners (hasn't made any technical contributions for either software, just inflammatory remarks) ... not sure where his "loads faster" statement came from as last I checked they both can read/write at the same speed...

As for which is better, search this forum this question has been brought up numerous times (and lately seems to result in flame fests ... generally the same people initiating the flaming) ...

I personally like HP Tuners... it's been a great product for the past 1.5 years or so ...

Check each site... they both have their plus's and minus's
www.hptuners.com
www.efilive.com
Old 06-28-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks alot...last time I checked into them...about a year or so ago, right before the divorce...I thought I would like HPTuners a little better. But like I said I don't have any experience. A friend of a friend deal says that its easier with HPT over LS1eit in his opinion but he don't talk like he knows too much about it all...he knows more than I do though I'm sure.

What all is included in tuning your car? Fuel Pressure? A/F Ratio, Spark, Timimg, can they all delete like the o2 sensors...etc...what CAN you do...or maybe the easier question is what can you NOT do?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also doesn't Hp Tuners haev fere upgrades?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by byrontaylor
What all is included in tuning your car? Fuel Pressure? A/F Ratio, Spark, Timimg, can they all delete like the o2 sensors...etc...what CAN you do...or maybe the easier question is what can you NOT do?

there's not much you can't do heh... you can't modify any of the external controllers (the ABS Computer, the Body Control Module, etc..)

but fuel, spark, idle, you name it you can modify it

http://www.hptuners.com/pub/VCM%20Suite.chm
http://www.efilive.com/downloads/downloads_7.html

You can check out the demo of EFILive and the manual for HP Tuners .. gives you a feel on all the things that can be modified in the car.... there's ALOT there that can be modified (most of which most will never need to modify)
Old 06-28-2005, 06:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes, HP Tuners has free software updates and fixes as well. Major upgrades are not free though which is typical with any software you purchase. Our first major software upgrade is coming out very soon and is called VCM Suite 2.0. You, and all of our other new customers will receive it for free though.

Then, again, all upgrades to VCM Suite 2.0 will be free as well.

Also, with our licensing if you select support for the 00 and 01 V8 f-bodies, you would be able to tune an unlimited number of those vehicle types, not just a few specific vehicles. We do not lock you to your vehicles.

Hope this helps.

- Keith, HP Tuners