Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dumb Hydraulic question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dumb Hydraulic question...

Hey guys, please BEAR with me here. I have all hydraulics installed, waiting on bellhousing. If I hookup slave cylinder to master I have some questions. No fluid right now in car. Can I go ahead and turn ignition on (NOT start car just ignition on) and pump the clutch/bleed it and put fluid in? Does car have to be running for clutch pedal/master cyl to start working?

Any negatives to pressing clutch pedal with slave connected, but no transmission in there? Just trying to see what I can get away with doing while waiting on parts. Was going to wait until I put tranny, etc. in there before bleeding hydraulics, but was thinking maybe I can do it now??? ANY info is appreciated.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Launching!

car is running or not have nothing to do with the system, you can go ahead hook it up and bleed but make sure get big c- clamp and couple thing wood put on both side of slave. so when you press down the peddle, you won't over extent slave cause seal blown
Old 06-28-2005, 10:53 PM
wrencher

It doesnt need to be running to bleed. You do need the trans bellhousing & motor assembled b-4 you pump the clutch pedal.
Without them assembled there is nothing keeping the slave from over-extending.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, keep your foot off of the clutch pedal unless there is something to restrict the travel of the slave. Otherwise you will be buying a new slave.