Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help troubleshoot air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help troubleshoot air conditioning

Help troubleshoot air conditioning
I have a 99 frc, I did heads/cam this winter, and I released the freon(yes i now know we didnt need to drain). Anyway I have recharged it and its still not cold. Is there anything I can check myself, or pay for full service. I am outta work right now so $$ is tight.

The AC/worked fine before I had apart. and for the record its not cold AT ALL. When I refilled the guage did go well into the 'green ' range.

TIA
Old 06-30-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

you need to take it some where and put it under vacuum(called evacuating the system) first. you can't just release freon(thats against the law, and it waists freon), snd then put freon back in.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Did you refill it with R134A? If so did you use a guage to make sure it is not underfilled or overfilled? If if remember right it should be around 70 psi (I need to look at my gauge to be 100% sure). When you turn it on does the clutch engage, if you cannot tell look at you compressor pully with the car running and then have someone turn the a/c on you should here a click and then the a/c clutch will engage and the inside of the pully will start to turn.

If it engages you probably do not have enough r134a in it, if it does not engage your clutch could be bad. If it clicks on an off multiple times it could be empty. Hope the helps the gauge is key.

Best case you just need more R134A (cheap). worst case is new compressor (+/- 650)
Old 06-30-2005, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

I agree with the second post I just had to buy a new A/C compressor for my T/A it was $250 by the way, but anyways when we filled mine up we had to pull a vacuum on the system to get all of the air before we could fill it up. Probably what you need to do on your car.