Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Why do you need an adjustable master?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you need an adjustable master?

Control the total amount of fluid going to the slave? (amount of disengagement) Setting pedal height?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. It controls the travel of the slave. By controlling I don't mean that it limits the travel (meaning it will not prevent the slave from over extending), but increases or decreases the travel.The pedal height is a by product of the adjustment.

In the begining of the LS1 aftermarket clutches this was done with shims, luckily it was finally figured out that a better solution was the adjustable master. I still cringe when I see people starting to use shims again.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Launching!

so (dumba** question here) do you need to get an adjustable master to change the pedal engagement height? Mine engages/disengages so close to the floor I worry it's not fully clutching.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Originally Posted by rush7
so (dumba** question here) do you need to get an adjustable master to change the pedal engagement height? Mine engages/disengages so close to the floor I worry it's not fully clutching.

I'm curious about this too, my clutch engages with the pedal about 4 inches off the floor, does this sound like a problem? My buddy has a LS1 T/A same year as mine and his clutch engages clear at the top. I prefer it being this way but I also worry about it being some kind of problem...
Old 07-03-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An adjustable master is the only way the I know of to change the pedal height.