Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Help Getting Dust off of Black

Old 06-30-2005, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Getting Dust off of Black

Any of you guys have any special techniques on keeping the dust off of a black car? I live in a heavy agricultural area and thers always dust settling on my paint. I am trying to decide if i want to get another black car or if i want to get a less dust-showy color... please help me out, i dont want to have to wait for every wash to get rid of the dust....

i have tried the california duster (haha i live in california and that duster sucks for my conditions)

i attempted using detailing spray and a microfiber towel but that kinda doesnt work when theres more than a days worth of dust on the paint, didnt seem to work very well to avoid swirl-scratches...

help!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Lol, should have bought white! I feel your pain...I bought a house in a new sub and still get construction dust on my car even when the garage door is closed and covered! Wash and dry bro, wash and dry
Old 06-30-2005, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

pewter hides it well
Old 06-30-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do a lot of washing. There is construction right next to my office building, and every day the car gets all nasty from the dust. It's a double whammy when the damn sprinklers around our building go on during the day instead of the early morning hours.

It's a never ending battle!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i used to worry about it but i just learn to leave it alone.. it sucks but.. wiping it off all the time is gonna cause scratches /swirls.. so i just let it sit there until the next time i wash it
Old 06-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

I got the solution, move!!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS_WANG
I got the solution, move!!!!
Bingo
Old 06-30-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

my car is silver and it does a pretty good job of covering dust, but the bird **** sure does shine!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:39 PM
Launching!

i was gonna suggest painting it silver, the car is filthy right now, stupid tree, and the car still looks good. But really my last car was black, and i had to wipe it down w/ lint free micro-fiber cloths everyday.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

After I wash my car I will use an oxo duster once a day to get all the dust and pollen off. Tried the california duster and this one is much better. Just make sure you wrap it in newspaper for a few days before you use it to get the excess parafin wax out of it. Never had any problems with the duster scratching or leaving swirl marks in the paint. Key is to go over softly and shake it out every so often.
Car Duster
Old 07-01-2005, 12:36 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I used the Cali duster on my car as well. It worked fine for the first few months but now when ever I use the duster it leaves this film behind. Tried washing the duster etc... still leaves the film. But yeah its definitely a never ending battle when it comes to dust. Might want to get a car cover, that seems to be the only thing that works for me.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Lithium
I used the Cali duster on my car as well. It worked fine for the first few months but now when ever I use the duster it leaves this film behind. Tried washing the duster etc... still leaves the film. But yeah its definitely a never ending battle when it comes to dust. Might want to get a car cover, that seems to be the only thing that works for me.
Film you speak of sounds like the parafin wax that is used on the duster to attract just that...dust. Try the newspaper trick and see if that soaks up the problem.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:58 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by stryker14
Film you speak of sounds like the parafin wax that is used on the duster to attract just that...dust. Try the newspaper trick and see if that soaks up the problem.
Thanks, I will try that out. Is it possible that the duster can get to much dust and crap like that on it? The duster is pretty much black, you cant see that much red at all on it. Am I just dusting the car with dust maybe? Sorry I dont mean to hijack your thread as well .
Old 07-01-2005, 01:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Lithium
Thanks, I will try that out. Is it possible that the duster can get to much dust and crap like that on it? The duster is pretty much black, you cant see that much red at all on it. Am I just dusting the car with dust maybe? Sorry I dont mean to hijack your thread as well .
According to the car detailing nuts over on autopia.org they say that the duster only gets better over time. Just make sure you shake it vigorously to get the dust out. The fact that it is leaving a film sounds like you have alot of parafin wax making it to the surface so it needs to be soaked up. Not sure if there is another way to clean it out but if you check out autopia.org im sure they can set you straight.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stryker14
According to the car detailing nuts over on autopia.org they say that the duster only gets better over time. Just make sure you shake it vigorously to get the dust out. The fact that it is leaving a film sounds like you have alot of parafin wax making it to the surface so it needs to be soaked up.

When you wrap the duster in newspaper stick it out in the warm sunshine and it will speed up the paper absorbing the excess wax. Get some fresh newspaper an repeat once or twice and you should be good to go. Just don't go trying to dust your car when the paint is hot from the sun or wax streaks are likely to develop until the duster is good and filthy. Then you should be able use it in in the sun also. This works great on my black car.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:49 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Thanks guys I appreciate the help!
Old 07-01-2005, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

thanks you guys, i have the mega california duster that is super long and has the dusting materiall all around it, img oign to leave it in the sun with the newspaper, even though ive done that before and i get those streaks, i have a cover that i put on at work that helps minimize the dust but just yester day, i washed the car, drove to town to meet some friends for lunch, when we walked back outside, the car was COMPLETELY covered in dust, to the point where it no longer reflected with a week old wax job... oh well ****** black... car still looks badass :-D just dirty
Old 07-01-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Black here too. All I can say is just keep a good coat of wax on it and keep it covered with a good quality car cover. Oh, and get a cal. duster!!
Old 07-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Launching!

i have the same problem, my dad actualy lives on a farm and we have a 1/4 mile rock road to the house, i just let it dusty when here and wash it when i get back to my moms house, the rock road(white dust) actualy makes my back bumper complety white no matter how slow i go so it stays dirty for a while then gets a real good cleaing i hate having a dirty car but if i clean it i cant drive it
Old 07-01-2005, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

yeah I think dust on black cars is inevitable,
I use Zaino wax on my car and it stays wet and shiny looking, even if you can see some dust on it. I dont bother wiping it off, I just wash it pretty often.
I guess just wax it really good and you might try that duster idea to remove most of the dust starting to cover it

Search this Thread