Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring question - half stock and half CC918's

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 02:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Spring question - half stock and half CC918's

Started installing Comp Cams 918 valve springs today with titanium retainers before doing my cam swap. I'm using the MORE performance tool. It should be called the POS performance tool, as it keeps slipping off the retainers

Long story short, in 4 hours I got 4 springs replaced (#1 and #6 cylinders). Had to put the car back together. Will this screw up anything driving limited with only 1/4 the springs replaced? I wouldn't think it would, as I have a CC918 on the intake and exhaust of both #1 and #6 cylinders. I'll get to the rest shortly.....just might be a couple days

Anyhow, any input would be great. Also, if someone has some helpful suggestions on using the MORE tool I'm all for it (telling me to throw it away isn't helpful ) I'm DREADING doing the #8 cylinder with that thing
Old 07-01-2005, 03:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Make a U shape shim with a narrower inside and place that between the tool and retainer.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil, its not going to hurt anything to go back n forth to work. Will have it fixed up tomorrow man. I'll bring my More Valve tool over, we can start a lil collection of useless ****! One look at mine and you'll see why I hate that POS so much, but I think you already know.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAT3
Phil, its not going to hurt anything to go back n forth to work. Will have it fixed up tomorrow man. I'll bring my More Valve tool over, we can start a lil collection of useless ****! One look at mine and you'll see why I hate that POS so much, but I think you already know.

Yep, I'm elated that I'm not the one changing the rest Again...well worth the $$ to save my back, knuckles, and patience.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Schantin
Started installing Comp Cams 918 valve springs today with titanium retainers before doing my cam swap. I'm using the MORE performance tool. It should be called the POS performance tool, as it keeps slipping off the retainers

Long story short, in 4 hours I got 4 springs replaced (#1 and #6 cylinders). Had to put the car back together. Will this screw up anything driving limited with only 1/4 the springs replaced? I wouldn't think it would, as I have a CC918 on the intake and exhaust of both #1 and #6 cylinders. I'll get to the rest shortly.....just might be a couple days

Anyhow, any input would be great. Also, if someone has some helpful suggestions on using the MORE tool I'm all for it (telling me to throw it away isn't helpful ) I'm DREADING doing the #8 cylinder with that thing

If you dont do alot of cam /spring swaps I can see this being a great PITA but I have used the More tool /Larry tool with great sucsess, Me and my bud on here,BLKWS6 have done over 25 cam/spring installs and both tools have merit but of course we have cam/spring installs down to 4.5-5.0 hours from start to finish. Just take your time and stay with it,it will get better the more familure you become with it.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

It wouldnt be so bad if they made it out of too steel or even iorn. Aluminum tools are pointless.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:01 AM
11 Second Club

larry tool kicks ***.. along with my homemade lifter tools similar to thta jpr tool.. total cost was 35$..
Old 07-02-2005, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did mine with the larry tool, but for the hundred bucks, i think ill probably get the crane / vinci tool next time. I didnt have a hex headed stud and the nut kept seizing onto it.