Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

XM or Sirrus.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default XM or Sirrus.....

I am wanting to upgrade my trucks stereo (eclipse head unit, 2 kicker solobaric 12's and a mbquart component system) to satillite radio. My dad has Sirrus in his truck, and its pretty good but I was wondering what you all thought about the XM radio. Anyone have any advice on one or the other?
Old 07-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Both are about the same in terms of signal although some areas of the country will get one better than the other because of the differing satellite orbits. Now that both are the same price, your best bet is to look at their program selection and decide which you like better. You can get free 3-day online trials of both at their web sites.

I had both (in different vehicles) for about a year and finally settled on Sirius because I like their somewhat more mainstream play list and the NFL coverage. If your music tastes are a little more out of the mainstream than mine then you might like XM better.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

I have both: XM in my Yukon and Surius in My Envoy. I like both but I prefer the Sirius because of the fact that they are 100% commercial free. XM is supposed to be commercial free to but some channels have them. They are bot essentially the same though.

Last edited by RobTheHog; 07-01-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

I got my dad Sirius last Christmas, my friend (a stereo guy) got XM not too long afterwards... I really prefer Sirius, I guess its the commerical free part but XM also just seemed to be a little goofy. Its personal preference though.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

i had XM for four years before switching to sirius. it really depends on what you listen to. i can't speak for all genres but as far as hip-hop/rap goes, sirius OWNS XM. in that genre, they're less mainstream; that's why i prefer them. if i want to listen to 50 cent all day, i'll just listen to ANY FM station.

there is a satallite radio forum where people with both XM and sirius compare the music. with hip-hop/rap, *ALL* the threads i read listed sirius as the winner. that's what prompted me to try it out. i totally agree with them and i'm glad i switched. try searching those forums and see what they say about your style music. i don't think either company owns the other in ALL genres.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out these threads:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=satellite

Bottom Line: Sample both and buy the one You prefer (playlist, sound quality, equipment, etc).
Old 07-01-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks fellas
Old 07-01-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just got XM in my car. I can't speak for Sirius but for me XM fell short of expectations. I don't hate it but there are like 120 stations and I only listen to about 3 of them. It's kind of like Satelite TV...100 channels but you end up watching 10-year-old reruns of Cops because every other show is even worse. I was expecting a little better programming. Also, as far as sound quality it fell below my expectations. I thought it was going to be close to CD quality sound and it's now at all. It sounds very hollow at high volume. If I could do it over again I'd go with Sirius to see if that's any different because I never listen to the XM...I'm always listening to CD's still.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I have XM and typically only listen to about 10 stations myself, but thats not the point. Its just like cable or satellite TV in that respect.

I listen to XM all the time. I got fed-up with the crap on FM (including the insane amount of advertising, comercials, comercials, comercials....hey where did the actual content go? Most of todays music sucks too.) I usually listen to the 80's station (8), techno (81), 80's & 90's alternative (44 & 54) and comedy (150,151). I sometimes also listen to the 40's station (4), Classical - Pops (113), 50's (5), Regae (101). There are aother stations with some similar content too, but those are the ones I typically venture to.

True, the sound isnt CD quality. But its close and it also depends on the installation and the equipment.

All I can say is sample both (XM / Sirius) and get the one you prefer.

Last edited by VIP1; 07-03-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Just got Sirius...It rocks!

mudkat
Old 07-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Launching!

I love my Sirius.. I originally got it back when it was only a year old... I wasn't willing to pay $10 a month to still have commercials (so no XM for me!!) I still have Sirius to this day and love every minute of it! True, not all the stations are that great and I still find myself listening to CD's occasionally (when I am looking for a particular song fix!) but I think it is one of the best things I have bought for all my cars since.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by BlkTARebel99
I wasn't willing to pay $10 a month to still have commercials (so no XM for me!!)
All XM's music stations are comercial-free and have been for a while now. Even back when they had comercials, they were rare by FM's standards.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Very true.. Now, if I were just getting into Sat Radio for the first time, I really wouldn't care which one to get (unless I felt like listening to play-by-plays) since they both cost the same and neither has commercials. I also really like how the companies are making adaptors for both Sirius or XM for many of the aftermarket HU's.

For me now it is just the convenience factor of keeping the same thing that I have been happy with for years now. Cheers!
Old 07-05-2005, 03:52 AM
Teching In

Also keep in mind that Sirius is snagging up contracts for everything they can get the satellite rights on. They have NFL, NPR, Fox News, and Stern next year... XM has Major League Baseball and NASCAR... It just seems to be more bang for the buck with Sirius...

Last edited by DFWBADB0Y; 07-05-2005 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by DFWBADB0Y
Also keep in mind that Sirius is snagging up contracts for everything they can get the satellite rights on. They have NFL, NPR, Fox News, and Stern next year... XM has Major League Baseball and NASCAR... It just seems to be more bang for the buck with Sirius...
Not only that but Sirius has a new exclusive contract with NASCAR to be their satellite radio source starting in '07. So those of you who go with XM in order to get NASCAR shouldn't get more than a two year subscription.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

I have sirius, so far, I like it, but prices better stay put!!
Old 07-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

I have Sirius as well and I really like it..... a couple of my friends have XM and they prefer my sirius so i dunno tough call But Sirius has the maxium magazine channel lol
Old 07-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by T/acruiser9
Sirius has the maxium magazine channel
Do you mean Maxim?
XM has Playboy.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

while having XM in my car and Sirius on my DishNetwork sat i can say i prefer XM's wider playlist. in the respect of commericals both have commercial free music channels. Be aware that no matter which you get the News rebroadcasts WILL always have commercials in them since their in the original broadcast. I got into XM because at the time they were the only ones capable of filling the most important requirement.. Portable unit that i can move from car to home. I refuse to pay for more than one sub for myself, a PnP unit made that doable. the unit can be moved from my truck to camaro to house. while sirius now has those same type of units their still behind XM in their size.... the sirius one like the SkiFi i have is twice as thick!

NFL? Sirus.
MBL? XM
NHL? I dunno.... don't as me about sports.. i dont have any interest in them
Nascar? Used to be XM. now in sirius
Opie and Anthony? XM
Howard Stern? Sirius
Narrow FM Style hits playlist? Sirius
Broader playlist? XM

Narrow isn't really fair.. Narrow would be real FM... same song heard 3-5 times a day. on sirius or XM its likley to be 1-3 days. depending on channel/service. Hits channel 1, genere channel 3.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Not only that but Sirius has a new exclusive contract with NASCAR to be their satellite radio source starting in '07. So those of you who go with XM in order to get NASCAR shouldn't get more than a two year subscription.
Get whatever sub you want. XM will refund a prorated amount for the unused time left on your sub.

Avoid the sirius lifetime sub thou! Its not Lifetime of the account or user.. no no... its lifetime of the specific receiver! and who plans to keep one receiver for more than 2-3 years at most? it can't be moved to a new receiver.