Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers installed and car is mis-firing..backfiring..running like CRAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers installed and car is mis-firing..backfiring..running like CRAP!!

I just got my car and had headers and ory installed with O2 simms the whole nine yards and I was driving to work from the shop and my car is flashing the SES light..backfiring I mean even at idle and runnign really rough no power at ALL!!! WHat that hell is wrong with my car??!?!?!??!
Old 07-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Sounds like one of or both of the "front," or "Pre" Cat O2's are bad. Do you have any codes? Does it miss fire right off the bat? Or does it take a couple of minuets? I had a bad front O2 and as the emissions tests worked their way thru after start up the car would miss fire. Codes?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:58 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Did you check to make sure that all the sensors got plugged back in?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Launching!

O2'S are in....??? It didnt run bad w/o the headers???
Old 07-01-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

check you spark plug wires to make sure they are all on tight
Old 07-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Unhappy

Originally Posted by iamsickofitall
check you spark plug wires to make sure they are all on tight

he triple checked them all...all in and on right..???
Old 07-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Launching!

The installer put his scanner on it and could find NOTHING wrong at all...???
Old 07-01-2005, 02:05 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Since the SES light went off - what code does it say?
Old 07-01-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01black
The installer put his scanner on it and could find NOTHING wrong at all...???
if the SES light is on and he put the scanner on, and couldn't find anything, you might want to find someone else to tune your car.

if all the bolts are tight on all the header/block connections, and the band clamps connections for the headers to the y-pipe and the exhaust, and all the spark plugs and plug wires are good, then you need to be looking at the o2 sensors. if you don't have cats then you need to tune out the rear sensors or have rear o2 deletes.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Any chance you burned a spark plug wire on the header?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

thats weird, cus i just put in my headers w/no cats no rear o2's, and for the time being am straight headers....no back fire, just running a bit lean.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by technical

I'm running accel 9000 wires just for that reason...I looked at every single wire and felt all around them for some kind of burn mark but there was nothing..I mean from the time I started it and rolled outta the drive way it's been doing it...i have no idea why this would occur, oh well back to the shop on tuesday...
Old 07-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by technical

I'm running accel 9000 wires just for that reason...I looked at every single wire and felt all around them for some kind of burn mark but there was nothing..I mean from the time I started it and rolled outta the drive way it's been doing it...i have no idea why this would occur but oh well till tuesday....going back to see what happens, I'll post again.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flashing SES light means that the pcm is detecting missfires, so there should be codes. Did the wires go on new with the headers? Maybe one or some of the plugs got banged and cracked if they were not removed when installing the headers.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Naw, the wires have been on since sept of 04...i need to get it on atap see what and why it's mis-firing, I aint driving it till it goes back on tues. Just hope it doenst cost me an arm and a leg
Old 07-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Doc
Sounds like one of or both of the "front," or "Pre" Cat O2's are bad. Do you have any codes? Does it miss fire right off the bat? Or does it take a couple of minuets? I had a bad front O2 and as the emissions tests worked their way thru after start up the car would miss fire. Codes?
It's FOR SURE a mixture problem...and they are related to the O2's most of the time....crap i dont want to but O2's and have it do the same ****...
Old 07-02-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't see how O2s could cause this. After I had my headers installed a few years ago, my O2 simms didn't work and set off codes but the car still ran fine until I got a new set. Also, my front O2s were out for several months up til a few days ago and my car still ran fine. My car wasn't tuned either when the headers went on. It wasn't until a year later before it was tuned.
Are all the coil packs hooked up and in the right spot and all connections are tight? I would think the problem would come from the coil packs/sparkplugs/wires before O2s
Old 07-02-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Listen I garuntee this is you problem 99% sure. Same thing happened to me twice.
You probably burnt or freyed the o2 wires after the install. I had the same problem. If you ever get a flashing ses light then that means misfires. If you have checked everything else that causes a misfire than this is your problem.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm sure you could be right, i guess my car just acts different. Last set of O2's I installed, the header burnt through on the left side and it still never missfired. I took both out today and ran the car with both O2s out just to clear out any silicone residue or anything and it still ran fine.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
i'm sure you could be right, i guess my car just acts different. Last set of O2's I installed, the header burnt through on the left side and it still never missfired. I took both out today and ran the car with both O2s out just to clear out any silicone residue or anything and it still ran fine.

If the main purple wire gets burnt, freyed etc... this will happen. It took me along time to find the problem. See after I installed my A/F gages(1for each bank) using a pigtail that splices in between the wire harness and o2 sensor and gives you the main purple wire to hook to I started having the same problem he is. I went through everything that would cause a misfire plugs,wires,injectors,coilpacks everything wasted a lot of money. The second time it happened I new right where to go.
Moral of the story kids, keep those wires tucked away from heat and from rubbing against metal.

Last edited by Tranzaman00; 07-02-2005 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Headers installed and car is mis-firing..backfiring..running like CRAP!!