Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Recommendations for In-Dash DVD player with Screen!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile Recommendations for In-Dash DVD player with Screen!

Ok guys, I have the stock Monsoon system as of now.. But, I'm looking to upgrade to a DVD player with Touch Screen [something like the Alpine IVA-D300 or alike.. ]

But, I have absolutely NO clue which one to pick.

Please help me pick a nice, reliable player and also direct me where to purchase from ?

So far, I've been looking at Crutchfield and really like the IVA-D300 and the upcoming 310

I'm not dead set on Alpines, so feel free to recommend others!

So, basically, here are my questions

1 - What brand and Model ?

2 - Where to buy from ?

3 - Are these players *Plug-N-Pray* lol.. I mean --Plug and Play-- ?

4 - Will I need to buy any additional hardware, other than what will come with the player ?

Thanks a lot!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

I would buy the Pioneer model. Either one is good.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

1)I currently run Pioneer Premier, but have always been a fan of all Alpine products. Can't go wrong with either.

2)With such an expensive piece of hardware, I STRONGLY recommend buying from an authorized distributor. Any local audio shop will do nicely. Also, as you mentioned, Crutchfield. Other then that, most online sites are NOT authorized by the companies they sell. Meaning you will have no warranty or possible no customer service at all. If the headunit is DOA or malfunctions within the first year or two, you'd be SOL. Just thought I'd make sure you knew before you get yourself into trouble.

3)Almost. You should just need the dash kit, (to take your stock 1.5din opening and secure your 1 din touchscreen in place) antenna adapter, (allow your stock radio antenna wire to plug right into the aftermarket unit) and a wiring harness. (not a must have but really cleans things up and makes for a no brainer install) All can be found at any local install shop and should cost about $30 total.

4)Depends on which unit you decide on and what functions you are looking to use. Some headunit of that design actually have an outboard "brain" that can be mounted elsewhere in the car. Some may require a seperate TV tuner if your looking to do that. And some even have an add-on onboard EQ which adds a crazy amount of flexability to your system. What in particular are you looking to do with this unit?
Old 07-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Launching!

My personal favorites are the Pioneer AVIC-N2 (built in nav and XM Navteq)
Or the Kenwood eXcelon KVT-915DVD or the KVT-815DVD (they just released the XXV-05V and the KVT-817DVD).

2) If you really want to save a buck then you can buy them on e-bay, but you don't get any warranty of any sort from the manufacturer, unless you buy them from an authorized reseller such as best buy, tweeter, car toys, etc.

3)These are pretty much plug-n-play, requires a little wiring to a brain box that is hidden elsewhere in the car. (a great place is where the spare tire is in your car)

4)Make sure you have your dash kit, wiring harness to plug into your factory wiring, and an antenna adaptor.

Good luck on picking up one and getting it in.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

great responses guys!!.. thanks...

What do you guys think about the Alpine IVA D300 brand new for $800 from 6th Ave - authorized reseller for Alpine ... with free install !
Old 07-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Not bad, but the d300 really needs an add on box if i remember correctly to have all the features that the others have, I haven't looked it up lately. If I am right, then you will only have one set of pre-outs... If that is fine for your needs (if you don't plan on putting any amps on it) then it is great. You may also want to consider the Kenwood KVT-715DVD from Best Buy... it is running for about 1200-1300. (not a bad unit, but not quite an eXcelon)
Old 07-04-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

Question

I just decided on the Kenwood KVT-815DVD for $950 installed...at 6th Ave [electronics store] + JL comp [XR-650 CSi] + JL TR-650 CXi Evolution 6.5" + Alpine MRP 350W Class-D Mono Amp and Pioneer Premier 12" Shallow Sub [TSSW-124D] .. :: gulp ::

I hope I made the right decision!! ..

Everything installed for $1950 with 0% financing for 12 months [ I got approved for that.. ] Does that price sound right ?

I was thinking about getting two AMPs .. a 4 channel for the fronts and 6.5s, and then the mono for the sub.. But, I'm gonna just gonna listen to the speakers feeding off of the HU for now and if it doesn't feel adequate, add another AMP later on..

Did I pick the right system ? Should I have gone with the V12 series Alpine Amp instead of the V series ? What about the sub and speakers ? It all sounded pretty darn good to me, but I'm no audiophile

I'm having eveyrthing installed tomorrow ...
Old 07-04-2005, 03:00 AM
TECH Resident

Also, should I get a capacitor ? Or, upgrade the Alt ? Or, just do nothing for now ?

I have the Red-Top Optima Battery [about 4 months old] and stock Alt..
Old 07-04-2005, 07:05 AM
TECH Resident

i love my d300
Old 07-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Launching!

pioneer...its a little pricey but its all ine one set up not like the others....you will have to pay for the navigation and other stuff
Old 07-04-2005, 11:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i love my pioneer--i wouldnt go with the n2 though because i dont think anyones been able to bypass its safety feature yet and u can play it while the car is in motion.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Launching!

The n2 can be bypassed, but it resets itself occasionally... I know this because we had to do it where I work so that it would play video from our internal loop on the screen. Just use a switch and whenever it resets, just flip it and flip it back. (at least that's how I think it was set up... I didn't actually set it up.) If anyone wants to know for sure, then just let me know and I'll ask the guy that set it up.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have 2 N1 pioneers instock for less than the N2 and you can watch DVD's!
Old 07-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RahuL
Also, should I get a capacitor ? Or, upgrade the Alt ? Or, just do nothing for now ?

I have the Red-Top Optima Battery [about 4 months old] and stock Alt..
The Red-Top was a good choice... the stock alt should last you a while. I'd recommend a cap or two, just to be safe. Since there's constant power in the rear for the amp to feed off it, it tends to be more efficient and (I think) sound better.