Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Did i bust my rear? Quick help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did i bust my rear? Quick help needed

hey guys,

my ls1 is apart while I install my nitrous. So i took out my 1987 Camaro Iroc-z tonight to cruise. 305, 5spd. all stock. ~49,000 miles on it.

shes been in storage since thanksgiving, i finally got her out tonight

so right before i get home, i decide to peel out, sorta drop the clutch, but more or less just sliped it out. then i'm in 1st gear, turning into my drive way and i hear "creeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkk" coming from the back end....and i just put my head down

Now i don't know if i was just paranoid and it always used to do that or what. Plus shes an older car, she makes more noises than my '02 Trans Am.

I pulled in the garage, jacked up the car under the pumpkin. i turned the wheels, and both of them spun at the same rate. okay good.
there was some noise, but more or less just sounded like gears should (from what i can tell)

the only problem i noticed is that if i turned the wheels one way, and really fast turned them the other direction it would make a noise. sort of like slop in the axle or something. is that normal? i would think so, i don't expect everything to be nice and tight.

so good news, i didn't hear and major grinding.
bad news, is the "slop" i felt normal? sorta like the U-joints or something. I mean there should be a little bit of play in there right?

so if there shouldn't be slop, what could it be and what is it going to cost me? i hope its nothing major since I am still paying for my headers and nitrous on my WS6.

Maybe its low on gear lube also? The rear seal leaks just enough to make the bottom of the pumpkin a little moist. just like any old car. if i should change it. what should i use, and is there a how to guide somewhere on how to do it?

help!!
Old 07-01-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

c'mon c'mon c'mon

someone say something so i can sleep tonight!
Old 07-02-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

i took it to the shop, everything seems to be okay