Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driver side rear wheel slight wobble, ANY IDEAS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side rear wheel slight wobble, ANY IDEAS?

I am looking into buying a 2002 z28, but the driver side rear wheel has a slight wobble when driveing it. You can not tell it wobbles unless you look at it because it is not noticalbe when you are driveing the car. It is a very very slight wobble, you really have to look to see it!! The car had been wrecked on the left rear side awile back. There was not all that much damage though. I think the wreck may have gotten into the wheel a little bit, not for sure. It is hard getting a straight answer out of a seller sometimes. I am not a mechanic i just like driveing Zs. Is there anyone out there with some good knowledge that might know what this is. And if so, is it a serious problem, would it be expensive to fix.

Thanks!!
Old 07-02-2005, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

My guess......bent axle. Easy fix if that's it.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Bent axle, bent wheel, or both. Try the wheel first as it's cheaper. You might just take it to Discount or someplace and have it roadforced. If it balances out but the roadforce is still high then you have a tire and or wheel problem. If it comes out ok, axle is the likely culprit. Usually a bent axle will have a little rhythmic squeak at slower speeds, especially when cold.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Teching In

yeah i think your right, a couple people have told me that it is a bent axle now. It even makes a sqeeking noise at low speeds. I think i am gonna buy the car since it is not really a big issue. Thanks a lot guys!!
Old 07-03-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The quickest and easiest thing to try would be to take the wheel off and clean off the wheel and around the studs. Make sure there's no rust or corrosion present and put it back on verrrrrry carefully. Somebody might have been careless at some point and neglected those items.

Also, might try the wheel on a motorized balancer to see what it looks like. Can't hurt...
Old 07-05-2005, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem with my car, except it was the passenger side doing the wobble. The culprit was a bent axle, replaced the stockers with a set of Moser axles and the problem was gone. Very easy fix, just takes a little time if its your first axle change.