Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket HU Install... Detailed Instructions Plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Aftermarket HU Install... Detailed Instructions Plz

ok, I still haven't decided whether to go with an indash DVD w/monitor or MP3/WMA/CD Receiver HU..

However, since this will be the very first time I'll be attempting to do any stereo work... It'll be a HUGE help if someone can either direct me to or post very detailed instructions from how to take out the stock Monsoon HU to Installing a new HU [ eg. Alpine CDA-9851 or 9853]

I'll most likely buy from Crutchfield unless CC or BB or 6th Ave have something better, with free installation kit!

Thanks a lot!!
Old 07-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Unless you want to completely re-wire your entire system, it is very easy to replace the HU. Now to replace the HU, first remove the trim ring surrounding the radio (it is just held on with speed clips, so a few tugs should do it). Then to remove the radio there should be three bolts ( 7mm i believe). Now you should be able to pull out the radio and unplug everything from behind it (you might have to move the shifter into neutral). Now is a great time to test-fit the wiring harness to make sure it is the right one before you strip and attach it. Take the antenna adaptor you should have gotten and attach it to the factory antenna lead. Now that you know you have the right wiring harness, just match color-for-color the wiring harness to the wiring harness that came in the box with the aftermarket radio (either use crimp-caps or solder). Next, take the "cage" (metal bracket that is shipped on the radio) off of the radio, and put it into the dash kit, flipping up the metal tabs that will contact the plastic to hold it in firmly. Now make sure you know which side is up and down (by lining up the bolts on the dash kit with the holes for them in the dash) and slide the radio into the cage. Hook up the wiring harness and the antenna adaptor to the radio (and of course to the factory wiring), put the bolts back on, the trim ring clips back in and you should be done and ready to jam. You don't have to do anything with the monsoon unless you want to completely remove it and unless you are wanting to put in a whole system and do a re-wire. If you have any other questions, then let me know.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Launching!

I almost forgot you will need: Strippers, crimper (or soldering iron), crimp caps (or solder and electrical tape), Wiring harness, dash kit, antenna adaptor, and of course a little time.