Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paint My Car????

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paint My Car????

Alright guys i am very heavily considering to get my car painted. Here is a pic of my car now..

I love black, but it is just TOO hard to keep clean, especially where i live. Its constantly getting filthy. So i am thinking about possibly painting it the Sonic Blue that is on the 2003-2004 Cobras. I was wondering what do you guys think price range i am looking at? I am not looking for a absolute insane paint job, but i do want it to look like it came from the factory like that. Also if someone could photoshop me a pic of it in that blue that would be AWESOME thanks
JacobK
Old 07-03-2005, 02:37 AM
TECH Regular

you are looking at anywhere from 4-6 grand for a so called factory paint job. It really depends on the shop and what kind of work they do. Most likely you will get what you pay for when it comes to doing a color change. If you do it right and paint the door jams, trunk, under the t-tops, engine bay, I wouldnt be suprised if you get a quote for around 8 grand. It all depends on what shop you go to and what kind of work they do. Do it right the first time and take it to someone that knows what they are doing and turns out a good product no matter what the cost is....reasonably talking of course.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:49 AM
TECH Regular

IF the color really bothers you that much sell the car...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...872#post3146872

This color change cost 1400... I had it done in a private home made shop... I have some dust in my paint but no orange peel (20 hours of color sanding) I'm taking it back to have some touch up and we are goign to see if the dust can be painted over to hide them but you do get what you paid for... I went the opposite of you i wanted the black... yieah its alot of work but anyone will tell you these cars are so sexy in black... a factory paint job with no orange peel i've call and asked and your looking at 5-6 and those were avg. shops... also you need to remember wiht a color change you will want to paint under the hood... YOU CAN NOT GET A GUN BEHIND TO PAINT THE FIREWALL!!!!! you can get some paint cans back there but it's damn impossible... but a dark blue one matter so much on your firewall... but for what you would spend I dont' see a point in it for what your car is worth unless you plan to keep it forever and then again if you wreck it you won't get your 5-8k back to save you 10min a day in dusting...I mean is your time really worth that much???? You could invest in some really soft cloths and a car cover and then just claybar and wax it once a week or so.. wipes will = small swirls in wax which can be be fixed by either rewaxing or removal of most wax and rewaxing.... I just dont' see it a smart idea...

thats all of my .02 but hey to everyone their own.. everyone told me not to convert my car... I did it anyways and now everyone is applouding me.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

well im thinking about taping off some flames and painting my car, the blue pearl into black with silver accents. If you have any type of body shop experience you can do it your self. i worked in a body shop during HS so im not too bad at it. otherwise you will dropping some coin on getting it repainted at a decent shop. if i were you i would sell the car and get one the color you want.

Converted, when you repainted your car how hard was it to get into the curved area where the foglights are?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by transambandit
well im thinking about taping off some flames and painting my car, the blue pearl into black with silver accents. If you have any type of body shop experience you can do it your self. i worked in a body shop during HS so im not too bad at it. otherwise you will dropping some coin on getting it repainted at a decent shop. if i were you i would sell the car and get one the color you want.

Converted, when you repainted your car how hard was it to get into the curved area where the foglights are?

I didn't spray however I wish I could have.. the job was done well but it could have been better... otherwise light areas went on pretty easy as it explained to me.. just take your time and use light coats.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

This was discussed in a thread a while back but having black car to start with and doing a color change may not involve painting under the hood. A lot of the old muscle cars had black engine bays no matter what the exterior color was. SO, if you want to go for a retro look, leave the engine bay black and have exterior done in whatever color you want.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 07-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the ZL1's have black engine bays, just do the door jams and everything else, but leave the engine bay. That will lower the price for a color change considerably.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

either way your car is probably only worth what 17k? You will pay 5k+ for a decent paint job.... No one is going to pay you for the paint....I think if your going to spend 5k there are better ways of doing it... If youhave the money to blow then by all means go ahead but I doubt you would be asking us what we thought if you had that kind of cash just sitting around burning a hole in your pocket.