Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

I think I have found my 500hp package.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think I have found my 500hp package.

21st Century Motorsports is in Texas owned and operator by LPE's daughter and son in law. They have direct support from LPE. This is the same place that did the LPE 427TT car at the Colby show. Can't beat that price either. Thoughts?

http://www.21stcenturymusclecars.com...50500hpzo6.asp
Old 07-03-2005, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a nice setup. Your car would be nasty for sure. But you could get Ellis to do that for half the price, and the car stays here....that's what I would do.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

seems like a lot of money to me for a head/cam/header package
Old 07-03-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ram-it
21st Century Motorsports is in Texas owned and operator by LPE's daughter and son in law. They have direct support from LPE. This is the same place that did the LPE 427TT car at the Colby show. Can't beat that price either. Thoughts?

http://www.21stcenturymusclecars.com...50500hpzo6.asp
Title of topic and author = first thought "Oh no, this can't be good..." I wasn't too far off

Question is - can you live without your car for up to 4 weeks then spend the time to tweak it just right because you know *that* is going to have to happen? How long do you really think you will keep this over a two year old 06' Z06? Will it justify dumping 7K+ plus into it for maybe three years then dump it?

Its your call - though you might want to wait until your heels cool a bit after a track week. That is one nasty and expensive bug bite.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
seems like a lot of money to me for a head/cam/header package

It is. Talk about self imposed "Corvette tax"
Old 07-03-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

I keep thinking about that $6500 price tag. If a 2002 ZO6 has 405 factory hp, and they are selling a 500 bhp (measured at the engine) package, then you are buying 95 hp for $6500.

That's about $68.42 per ENGINE horsepower. That's not even including the fact that it has to be transported both ways. Whether your drive it to and from and fly home to wait you're still adding at least $1200 transportation fees. That brings it up to about $81 per engine horsepower.

Ouch. That's a lot of track days.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think the money is that far off. Look at all the machine work that they have to do plus the dyno tune. Plus you are paying for all the R&D that they have done to come up with this package. So they only advertise 95hp more over stock. That's impressive for just H/C/H. Plus you know LPE does really good stuff and this thing would be bullet proof. The time issue doesn't bother me either. It's just a thought anyway and I appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming. I saw this as a better alternative to a blower but I can't do anything until I sell my house.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what year is your Z06? While ported heads are nice, LS6 heads are really really good, and you already have a pair. [Of heads.]

Consider this: an assembled LS2 402 short block with all forged internals will run you about $3700. you could keep your heads and get high compression from them, or sell your engine complete and go with 317 heads for a more moderate 11:1 compression. They flow as well as LS6 heads and they cost $500/pr.

If you want bulletproof, that's the way to go. 600+ crank horsepower and worth every penny of upgrade.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

LPE does make some good packages + the resale on anything LPE is very good. However you're probably not going to get more than 410-420 rwhp out of it and there is the transportation costs to consider. I personally think that the AFR heads/cam package with LG headers is the cats meow for Vette's right now. 470ish rwhp, HUGE power under the curve, can be driven in heavy traffic N/P etc.. Probably about $5K for the parts and you could have it installed and tuned locally. Because of the great mid-range torque of this setup it would be fast as hell on a road course. Your Z would be one NOT to be fucked with Tony M @ AFR ran a 10.9x with this package in his Z ....
Old 07-04-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought about the 402 but I want to stay with the stock bottom end. The big concern I have is getting a head and cam package dialed in with a good dyno tune here locally. Yeah, I would have to get her shipped down to Texas but I would drive it back. If I do the blower instead, then I will drive it down to Cali on my way the Disney and pick it back up on the way home. The problem with that is getting Jacquie to stay with me on the road both ways!!
Old 07-04-2005, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

LPE does make good stuff, but it's the cost I have a problem with. Like Bill said, LG headers are the **** for Vettes. And AFR heads are the top dog. You could have Ellis get a custom gring c=from Cam Motions, and end up with a LOT more useful hp, and have the fun of helping Ellis tune it. A dyno tune is only really tweaking WOT. There is a lot more to it than that, as you well know....
Old 07-04-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ram-it
The big concern I have is getting a head and cam package dialed in with a good dyno tune here locally.
There are plenty of people here in the northwest who know how to tune your car.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it is the best thing you could do Eric. Not to mention then you could say you had that package and everyone would know what you were talking about. I think Even the hard core Corvette guys would respect them working on your car.

I think you would be VERY happy with it
Old 07-05-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think you guys have really added up the cost to do the things that this package provides. Kooks headers are head to head with the LG's. So mark down $1600 for those. Add $2k for the heads, $400 for the cam, $120 for the oil pump, $11- for the timing chain plus the complete engine removal and disassembly, inspection, reassemble plus tune. Take another look at that link. It is WAY MORE than just throwing a cam in and adding heads and headers. I do not think anyone in the NW can dramatically beat the price IF at all. Parts cost are the same. They would have to beat it with the labor. I also have faith that LPE has it down to a science for tuning. Do you really think that they just tune at WOT? They install their known tune and then tweak it on the dyno. It is in their best interest to deliver a very reliable product. Plus LPE is big enough to network with other shops. I agree, I think this suits me very well. I have an appointment with Corvettes of Auburn who can install this package for me. I will let you know what I think afterwards.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like I said you should be very happy with that package. I would not let anyone local do it I would send it to them to be done, that way you know you got the very best your money could buy IMHO
Old 07-05-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Like I said you should be very happy with that package. I would not let anyone local do it I would send it to them to be done, that way you know you got the very best your money could buy IMHO
I agree, if your going to get it done, get it done right. To where you feel confident that your not going to have a lot of problems w/ your setup. I'd expect about 420-430 rwhp and 400-415 rwtq. Plus you'll love the new found sound, and power.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

This 550 hp LS2 is available from Street and Performance right now.
Makes me wonder what they will do with the LS7 when it's available, or
perhaps they are working on that right now.
Boy!! This beauty would bolt right up to my existing motor mounts and tranny in my 56 Olds just as it sits. Hummmmmm......

Dogtag

Old 07-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Tech Addict

man that looks sweet, how much?
Old 07-07-2005, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

I'll find out. Gotta ask the owner when I see him.
He's putting it into a 67 Camaro with a new
six speed, 13 in rubber and
a killer IFS/IRS from Heidt.
It's still got another year before it sees the road

Dogtag

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think I have found my 500hp package.