Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Mist of tar all over a car? How to remove safely?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mist of tar all over a car? How to remove safely?

My sister has a 2002 WRX, and Friday she went into work, then came out to her car covered with a fine mist of tar from guys slurrying the parking lot next to her.

She complained and the company will cover the damages, however they want to pressure wash the car, then use orange oil and disel, then have the car detailed.

That seems really really abrasive to me, esp on a white car.

Can anyone recommend the best way to get a fine mist of tar off the car?

Thanks!

-Jason
Old 07-03-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bug and tar remover or try claybarring it. I would tell the company you want to take it to a detail shop and have it done right, not deisel fuel on a shop towel, that would definatly not fly with me. Whatever is used to get it off is going to take the wax off, so it is going to have to be waxed immediately following the tar removal.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Their plan sounds like it would mess up the paint. I would definitely have it professionally detailed.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

ok first off you do not have to give this company a chance to "Fix it" although this will probably work and have no damaging effects you never know......if someone wrecks your car you do not have to take it to their friends body shop which will save them lots of money... You take it to the most damn expensive more rep. company in town.... This is the same thing.... I'd take it have it deailed and have it all removed and send them the bill... they will probably fight you but you just need to take pics before so you can show the damage and when they refuse tell them your calling your attorney adn will be sueing them for what they are worth and you hope they have insurance to cover you..... You can also threaten them with reporting them to teh BBB etc....If they are smart they will reimburst you when you give them the bill... I'd make sure you get the whole car detailed!!!!
Old 07-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Teching In

well man that really sucks. i know this might sound stupid but it is a really cheap and easy fix, and it has worked for me in the past, get some peanut butter and put it on the tar the oils in the peanut butter breaks down the tar and it should come right off
Old 07-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Launching!

Assuming they clean the car immediately after using the diesel to remove the tar, it wouldn't hurt the paint. I agree with the rest of the guys though. Try explaining to them that you want it done right and you won't settle for any less. Show them that you take great pride in your car. They should listen if you show that you're serious. Even though the diesel wouldn't hurt the paint if cleaned right after it was done, I would rather clean the car myself than do that. You never know, they may do it and not rinse the car enough or something.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would personaly never powerwash my car for any reason but as far as getting the tar off this happened to me while driving down the road and didnt realize it till later. I used Turtle Wax bug and tar remover and it works great, then just washed and re waxed it. Just let the detail guys do everything, I wouldnt trust ashphalt guys to do it, their rags are probably like sandpaper