Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent Valves ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Valves ???

I have a friend with a 97 vette. He was driving on the interstate and went from 5th to 1st by accident( trying to drop to third). As soon as he hit 1st and the motor revved high he let out. By that time all the idiot lights where flashing and ses codes popped up. He pulled over and the car wouldn't start unless you pushed started him. When the car did start it lacked power and sounded it like it was putting.
Just today we pulled the valve covers off and there where no bent pushrods. Also the valves and rockers looked fine. Then we proceed to do a compression test and the only cylinders that made compression at all where 1 @ 60 psi cold, 2 @ 120 psi cold, and 7 @ 90 psi cold. The rest of the cylinders didn't even register on the compression tester gauge. Then we did a cylinder leak down test and the funniest thing happened, the cylinders that showed no compression actually didn't leak and held the 90 psi in the cylinder.
Personally I think he floated the valves and eyelashed the pistons in which bent a couple of valves. Can anyone give me a second opinion.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

pretty much. or the timing chain slipped a tooth. but, then all the cylinders would have about the same compression. time for an upgrade.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Just took the heads off today and 13 out of 16 valves smacked the pistons. About 10 valves are bent horribly. Pretty much he put valve reliefs in his pistons the hard way. So off to the machine shop he goes.