Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird turn signal problem

When I start up my car the front driver's side turn signal/running light doesn't come on. But when I set my alarm it flashes, and also if I have my headlights on it works fine.
What could be wrong with it?
Old 07-04-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I made this exact same post awhile back.its a dual-fillament bulb. Just replace it. Quick and easy.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you!
Old 07-04-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anytime.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another question... how the hell does that stupid piece of **** light bulb come out???
Old 07-04-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

............twist and pull.....
Old 07-04-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay, I replaced the bulb and now the light doesn't come on period, even when I have the headlights on. What did I do wrong??? This is what I get for trying to fix it myself instead of asking my boyfriend to do it

Thanks for your help, btw.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You didn't forget to reconnect the negative battery cable did ya?

Pull it out again, and make sure the bulb didn't break or anything obvious like that and check the connections to see if they're tight. If everything looks good and it still doesn't work, try putting the old bulb back in and see if you go back to flashing. If the old one works you just need another bulb, otherwise, you must have knocked a connection loose or something. If you have access to a voltmeter or a dummy light you could use that to make sure there is voltage.

Hope one of those works for ya and BTW you have a beautiful first name
Old 07-04-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put the old bulb back in and it still doesn't come on at all so I'm gonna assume that you're right about me knocking something loose.
I guess I'll go back out there in a little while and try to figure out what came loose. I don't get it, I can change my spark plugs or do my brakes with no problems at all and when I try do something really simple like changing a bulb I manage to screw it up.

And thanks for the compliment on my name
Old 07-04-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calys968
I put the old bulb back in and it still doesn't come on at all so I'm gonna assume that you're right about me knocking something loose.
I guess I'll go back out there in a little while and try to figure out what came loose. I don't get it, I can change my spark plugs or do my brakes with no problems at all and when I try do something really simple like changing a bulb I manage to screw it up.

And thanks for the compliment on my name

The 'easy' stuff always seems to take longer. Just don't let it get to ya. It'll work out. Good luck and damn thats a badass ride.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Now I am really confused. The new bulb is in there now and yesterday afternoon the light would not come on at all. Then I took the car for a drive last night and the light was working! It stayed on even with the headlights off. So I was pretty stoked, I thought that the problem had somehow fixed itself. This morning I start up my car and I check to see if it's still on and it's not but when I turned on the headlights it came on. Wtf???
Old 07-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

First, there are two separate filaments in each of the front bulbs - one for DRLs/turn signals and the other for the parking lights. When you turn on your headlights you see the dimmer parking light filament. Any other time you should see the brighter DRL filament. It is quite possible for one filament to burn out while the other remains OK.

Also, the DRLs don't go on when you start the car until you release the parking brake. Maybe that's why they didn't go on when you started it this morning?

Do your turn signals work on both sides or do they just go on but not flash? If they don't flash then you have a problem with the bulbs or sockets.