PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAC Park Position Airflow vs IAT, what does it do?

Old 07-04-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IAC Park Position Airflow vs IAT, what does it do?

I know from reading the Help and searching it talks about it setting up the IAC when in the park position when the ignition is off.

But what I dont understand is why some of the CAM tuning howtos talk about increasing all values above 90F to 9 or whatever they say.

Im just trying to figure out how to tune this table. Im almost thinking shouldnt it be the same as the RAF table since that shows what its flowing at idle, shouldnt the car startup at the same point? Why are the values so much higher?

Remember Im a Z06, so we are drive by wire. I know alot of the HowTos talk about setting the IAC counts to 40-60 and stuff, but we cant do that on C5s cause we cant turn the set screw, its all DBW and not needed according to many.

Dixit
Old 07-04-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to look into the IAC effective area. Do a search as there is some info on this.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Much of the IAC Park table info is historical. By that I mean before the "Effective Area" table was available.

A good tuning write up ,by gojo is here->http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1169
With the Vettes IAC Park "seems" to set the blade at all transitions to idle (gojo is very knowledgeable, about RAF and IAC Park, and this is his opinion on the fly-by-wire).

If your TB is stock and undrilled I'd leave this table alone.

Hope this helps some.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bink
Much of the IAC Park table info is historical. By that I mean before the "Effective Area" table was available.
With the Vettes IAC Park "seems" to set the blade at all transitions to idle (gojo is very knowledgeable, about RAF and IAC Park, and this is his opinion on the fly-by-wire).
I'd try leaving the IAC Park values stock and moving the "EFF Area" table down with EFILive (or to the Right with HP Tuners). Eff Area will account for a larger TB (90mm),drilled blade and/ or a ported LS1 TB.

Hope this helps some.
You following me around??

Bink hit it on the head. Good info there.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black02SS
You following me around??

Bink hit it on the head. Good info there.
I changed my reply. I think the comprehensive statement by gojo ( linked above)is much better. Mine was disjointed and too specific.

Happy Tuning!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

A good tuning write up ,by gojo is here->http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1169

Hope this helps some.
Sorry maybe Ive been up too late, but I dont see gojo posted anywhere in that thread, only see jfpilla's writeup.

Dixit
Old 07-05-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Same person.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/267674-idle-transition-tuning.html
Old 07-05-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Ok, only question I have left is I keep seeing this DESIAC pid being mentioned, Im using HPTuners and trying to figure out which one this is? is it Desired IAC Position?

Dixit
Old 07-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Restricted User

Yep, desired IAC.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok i have my idle all set where i want it when its warm, still having cold start up issues. the iac parked vs iat is still confusing me. what does this do exactly? i read it was when the car was off, so why would this really matter? i havent really messed with it too much just sslightly raised the values, wondering if this could contribute to my cold start problems?
Old 07-06-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Increasing IAC values reduces the IAC airflow. Think about the IFR table - increasing the IFR reduces fuel flow (inj. PW).
At least with Fly-by-wire the "IAC Park" table does more than set the IAC with ignition OFF. It effects the transition to idle airflow. You can see this by watching the change in "Desired IAC" as you change the "IAC Park". There is a sweet spot relationship between Desired IAC (g/sec) and MAF airflow (g/sec). When the values are within a few percent of each other your idle will be noticeably improved.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah my dynamic and desired line up perfect at idle, but the iac park i think is pretty much way off. i have cold start problems and after decreasing this table startup got better.

that writeup was good but i still dont get it. is it saying at a certain iat, to see what the dyanamic airflow is and put that value in? pretty much what i did was from 100* and up i set it to what i normally idle at, airflow wise. and from there to the cooler temps i just added slowly, like 12 then 14, i just dont get how this should be done, i do but i dont. this is one i havent messed with much becuase from hp tuners explaination it did nothing but i have seen otherwise today.

so do i look at the airflow vs iat and put that value in? and do i do that when the car is hot? like i would have to wait for winder to get the colder numbers?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

plus my desired airflow at 30*c is right at about 14 g/sec, but the actual desired is 18-19 on the last log i have? why would it be higher? does this have to do with the park position table as well?

edit: seeing the iac park position was at 19 i assume that was part of the
problem...

it seems like on cold start it starts with the park position airflow and decays to the raf table after about 40 seconds...interesting i think this may help my problem. i hope
Old 07-06-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Hope this helps some.
Good Info Thanks!
Old 07-07-2005, 06:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
yeah my dynamic and desired line up perfect at idle, but the iac park i think is pretty much way off. i have cold start problems and after decreasing this table startup got better.

that writeup was good but i still dont get it. is it saying at a certain iat, to see what the dyanamic airflow is and put that value in? pretty much what i did was from 100* and up i set it to what i normally idle at, airflow wise. and from there to the cooler temps i just added slowly, like 12 then 14, i just dont get how this should be done, i do but i dont. this is one i havent messed with much becuase from hp tuners explaination it did nothing but i have seen otherwise today.

so do i look at the airflow vs iat and put that value in? and do i do that when the car is hot? like i would have to wait for winder to get the colder numbers?
Dynamic Air is a calculated, by the PCM, predicted airflow using the VE table as the lookup.
Desired Idle Air or DESIAC (g/sec) is the desired Idle airflow contributed by the IAC (Idle Air Controller).
Fly-by-Wire doesn't have a IAC, per se, but it does have the IAC function. It handles the IAC via the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC). See here
.....-> https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/193103-idle-operation-part-1-a.html.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

ive read that, i dont have fly by wire though. i cant go by maf becuase i dont have one. i have my ve dialed in so i can only go by dynamic airflow. what im wondering is how the DESIAC is calculated, is it a contribution of the park position at start? im just trying to find why my car starts up so bad and i think it demands too mcuh air, cant test til this afternoon either.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

also bink, the park airflow for the iac should be what the dynamic or maf is for that certain iat right? so i cant get some numbers unless i have data at cold intake temps, which i dont think it changes all that much. and is that when the car is hot that you see what it flows?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok i read over that link you put up and i see what all plays a role but i have a few questions that i hope you can answer, or someone can atleast

1) Startup Airflow, it says this decays and im thinking this could be a part of my problem just because its only on start up for about 10 sec, this would make sense is the park position doesnt fix my problem, but then the problem is how does this table have to be modified, ive never really checked it out.

2) Startup Spark Retard Airflow, ive decreased my start up retard by 15% to help out some starting and open loop running problems. so there is a table that compensates for this retard? i assume that i need to change this if i changed the retard, maybe let more air in?

3) DFCO Airflow, i dont know if much needs to be done to this or not but if it does let me knwo

4) IAC Park Airflow, i still would like to know about changing this and the right way to do it.

i understand most of the tables in the write up but some i dont know how to change or if i should even touch them at all. hopefully you can give some good answers to this, i have been trying to research a lot of this and just cnat find too much info that helps me understand why i should change it and how to change it. when i get home tonight ill check out these other tables and try to find them lol and see what they say, thanks for the help so far man!
Old 07-07-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribing - I have a startup problem for the first 4 seconds until adaptive idle takes over.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

guitsboy i have the same thing, when i go home and try some things ill let you know if any of it works

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IAC Park Position Airflow vs IAT, what does it do?