Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Having Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still Having Problems

To recap the rpm will rev up to about 4-1/2 to 5k when you give even a small amount of gas, then they fall really slowly. It was even worse with the a/c on. First I bought an iac motor. That seemed to help, but the problem was still there, just not as violent. It was the same with the a/c on though. So next I bought a tps. That had no effect. Next I have had a p1416 code for awhile, so I bought an air check valve. I also replaced the vacuum line that comes out behind the tb. I have cleaned the tb by soaking it in b-12 and useing q-tips to clean off the carbon. We hooked it up to a scanner, and it said that the iac motor was opening way to far, so I exchange it for a new one. It read the same, so we decided that most likely isnt the problem. After just checking everthing with the scanner hooked up, it started running normal exept when the a/c is on. I went out tonight to mess with it, and now it wont start at all. Something I just noticed today on the scanner is that it is reading the engine speed at 0 rpms. I dont want to spend the time or money any more just guessing. I hate taking my baby to the mechanic, I am always afraid of getting screwed. Any ideas would be really helpful. Thanks! Here are the current stats/mods on my car.

I run castrol gtx Full synth every 3k

car has 99,300 miles

I have a K & N drop in filter

MAF descreened and ported (Did this right after I got the car nearly 2 years ago, thats why I havent thought it to be a possiblity.)

Ported TB

TB bypass

New radiator (recent)

Poly motor mounts

flow-pro with a cut out
Old 07-04-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Have you tried cleaning the MAF? The oil from the K&N sometimes gets the electronics of the MAF dirty.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

How would you clean it? I thought the little wires inside were easy to break.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

I used throttle body cleaner and spray it on the inside really good and let dry. Some use a q-tip.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

what reads the rpm? Is it the crank sensor? Im thinking maybe since the scanner isnt reading the rpms, maybe the car thinks it is going to die so it opens the iac.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

ttmft
Old 07-07-2005, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Am I posting this in the wrong forum?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BabyLuvsMyTa
what reads the rpm? Is it the crank sensor? Im thinking maybe since the scanner isnt reading the rpms, maybe the car thinks it is going to die so it opens the iac.
I know the crank sensor is like the "key" to everything. If it is going out, your car will not idle right. It is known for misfires. But if your car is idleing at 4-5k, then you can rule out the crank sensor.
Make sure you do not have a vacuum leak. I know it will cause the idle to go up.