Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lighting Issues (DRLs)

Old 07-05-2005, 01:13 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lighting Issues (DRLs)

My DRLs have been giving me problems for the longest. I disabled them a long time ago (soldering the board), then I swapped in a stock control box so they'd go back to being on all the time. They still didn't come back on. They are off whether the lights are on or off.

Now my driver's side one is on sometimes (I can hit the bumper beside it and it'll cut on and off, but reaching in and jiggling the wires does nothing) and it only comes on when the headlights are on. The passenger's side one is off all the time and no amount of bumping or jiggling has anything happening over there. I dont care if they are both on or if they are both off, but I want them to do the same thing all the time. Any ideas?
Old 07-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Do your turn signals work? If not (e.g. they go on but don't flash) then I would suspect the bulbs or corroded sockets. The one that comes on only with the headlights would be the parking light not the DRLs (dual filament bulb). Our cars are prone to water damage in the front lamps.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:50 AM

Turn signals work fine. DRLs dont come on at all. Parking lights are sketchy. Driver's side works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Passenger's side doesn't work at all.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

It still sounds more like a bulb or socket problem than a DRL module problem. Did you replace the stock flasher with an electronic one? If so, it will keep flashing the turn signals even if the front bulbs aren't working. Turn on the hazard flashers and look at the front end to see if the lights flash - that will tell you if the front bulbs and sockets are OK.

Did you plug in both connectors to the DRL module? A common way of disabling the DRLs is to unplug one of the connectors at the module.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:24 PM

Everything is plugged in. I'll try the hazards but I can only imagine they would flash, as my blinkers work fine on both sides.

Search this Thread