Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Battery keeps dying!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery keeps dying!

Ok, I have a new battery, not 6 months old, I had to jump start it yesterday with my battery charger and it took about 5 minutes for it to have enough juice to start. Ran it for about 10 minutes took it for a drive and came home. Tried to start it this morning and nothing...what could be wrong? Is there anything that could be draining it down, Car alarm, power antenna, etc? Do I have a bad battery or alternator? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-05-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Your alternator might be bad. I know I had this problem on an old car I used to own. I would probably start with the alternator since you have already replaced the battery.
What does the voltage gauge say? Have you hooked a voltmeter to the battery to see what the car is charging?
Do you notice anything being on, dome light?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
Your alternator might be bad. I know I had this problem on an old car I used to own. I would probably start with the alternator since you have already replaced the battery.
What does the voltage gauge say? Have you hooked a voltmeter to the battery to see what the car is charging?
Do you notice anything being on, dome light?
I havent tried the voltmeter, do I do this while the engine is running? I am new to the whole electrical thing. I have checked the little things, dome light, sirius player on, etc. Whats it cost to get a new alternator?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

how do you know you dont have a parasitic drain? Disconnect the negative battery cable and splice in a small 12V light bulb between the battery and the negative cable. If you have a parasitic draw, the light will glow because power is flowing. Keep pulling fuses one at a time until the glow stops. Make sure you don't leave your door open while doing this since the interior lights will be on, which will also register as a draw

good luck

jimmy
Old 07-05-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

and if that isnt it, spend 25 bux on an alternator load tester, and that should tell you if you need the new alt
Old 07-05-2005, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jimmy 2 Times
how do you know you dont have a parasitic drain? Disconnect the negative battery cable and splice in a small 12V light bulb between the battery and the negative cable. If you have a parasitic draw, the light will glow because power is flowing. Keep pulling fuses one at a time until the glow stops. Make sure you don't leave your door open while doing this since the interior lights will be on, which will also register as a draw

good luck

jimmy
Never heard of that but I will try it, however how do I do this with the door closed since the fuse box is behind the drivers door? I should pull that fuse first right?
Old 07-05-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Im guessing close the door after you pull a fuse:p
Old 07-05-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02blackSS
I havent tried the voltmeter, do I do this while the engine is running? I am new to the whole electrical thing. I have checked the little things, dome light, sirius player on, etc. Whats it cost to get a new alternator?
yes while the engine is running. You want to make sure it is putting out over 13v.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

just go to oreilys they will check the battery and alt.. for free
Old 07-07-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mcowart
just go to oreilys they will check the battery and alt.. for free
Ya what he said! did it not too long ago