Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 Offset Lever Roll Pin

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M6 Offset Lever Roll Pin

Hi,

I've been lurking for awhile here, but I think this is my official first post. I hope you won't think I'm an idiot, but I've created quite a mess for myself.

I have a 2000 F-body T56 in a 1970 El Camino. I bought it used, and it apparently doesn't have reverse (kicks out hard when the clutch is engaged). So, I started to take it apart today with the tranny still in the car - I probably have more room under the car than you guys are used to. Anyway, I got as far as the offset lever roll pin in the top of the tranny where the shifter ball does its thing. While trying to drive the pin out with a very inappropriate punch, the punch actually broke off inside the roll pin. The pin is part way out of the bottom of the offset lever, but not enough to grab with anything. I bought a set of roll pin punches, but it still won't budge any further. In the morning, I'm going to try to c-clamp the pin back in to see if the broken piece will come loose, but I'm not holding my breath. I also tried drilling, but that was definitely slow going since the punch is very hard steel. Am I completely screwed? Do any of you know of a good tool or techinique I can try? I'm getting my *** kicked by a $0.01 part.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 07-05-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The c-clamp idea sounds like your best bet. Theres not much room in there to work.

Are you just going to open the extension housing to fix reverse or are you planning on going into the main case as well?
Old 07-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I'm just trying to remove the extension housing to get to reverse. The forward gears all work just fine.

Quick Reply: M6 Offset Lever Roll Pin